LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
THIRD SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
CH 3503 – MAIN GROUP ELEMENTS & SOLID STATE CHEMISTRY
Date : 26-04-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A
Answer ALL questions: (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- When sodium is shaken with naphthalene in nonaqueous solution, it turns paramagnetic.
- Explain why Mg(OH)2 is a weaker base than NaOH.
- What are fullerenes? How are they prepared?
- What are aluminates?
- How is sodium thiosulphate prepared?
- Give the preparation of Caro’s acid.
- What happens when dichlorine monoxide is dissolved in water?
- What are pseudohalogens? Why are they called so?
- Distinguish between amorphous and crystalline solids.
- What are Miller indices? Sketch the plane in a cube having Miller indices 110.
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions: (8 x 5 = 40 marks)
- How are peroxides and superoxides formed by s block elements? Comment on their
- How does Beryllium differ from other elements of Group 2? Discuss the main points of
- How is ozone prepared? Establish its structure.
- Apply Wade’s rules to B4H10 and predict the structure.
- How is nitric oxide prepared? How does it react with acidified potassium permanganate?
- Write a note on three dimensional silicates.
- How is orthophosphoric acid prepared? Write its structure.
- How is available chlorine in bleaching powder determined?
- How are chlorine dioxide and iodine pentoxide prepared?
- Draw the projection of unit cells of zinc blende and explain the salient features of its
- Derive Bragg’s equation.
- Write a note on Frenkel defects and its consequences.
PART – C
Answer any FOUR questions: (4 x 10 = 40 marks)
- What are carbides? How are they classified? Explain with an example for each class.
- a) How are organometallic compounds of lithium prepared? Mention their synthetic
- b) What happens when alkali metal oxides react with water? How does the basic
strength of hydroxides of alkali metals vary down a group? (4)
- a) How are hydrazine and hydrazoic acid prepared? (5)
- b) Give a brief description of sulphides of phosphorus. (5)
- a) Write briefly on bismuth trioxide and pentoxide. (4)
- b) Give a brief account of phosphatic fertilizers. (6)
- What are interhalogen compounds? How are they classified? Explain the structures
of ClF3 and IF5.
- a) Describe any two types of cubic unit cells among the Bravais lattices. Calculate the
number of atoms per unit cell in each case. (6)
- b) Show that the limiting radius ratio for an octahedral site is 0.414. (4)