CH 5505 – ORGANIC FUNCTIONAL GROUPS II
PART – A
Answer ALL the questions (10 x2 = 20 marks)
- Write the isomers of nitrobutane.
- What is diazotization?
- Explain with example D and L notation.
- Mark R and S configuration for the following compounds
- Write the synthesis of acetoacetic ester by Claisen condensation.
- How is diazomethane prepared?
- What is Isoprene rule?
- What is Fries rearrangement?
- What are sulpha drugs?
- Draw the structures of the following compounds (i) α-pinene ii) Camphor
PART – B
Answer any EIGHT questions (8 x 5 = 40 marks)
- Explain the mechanism of Gomberg reaction.
- Which of the following is more basic? p-nitro aniline or p-Toludine. Explain
- Give an account of the optical activity of biphenyls.
- Explain Walden inversion.
- Establish keto-enol tautomerism exhibited by acetoacetic ester.
- How will you synthesise the following from acetoacetic ester (i) Acetyl acetone (ii) Crotonic acid?
- Write briefly on Beckmann rearrangement.
- How is isoquinoline prepared?
- How does pyridine react with i) NaNH2 ii) n-ButylLithium iii) CH3 COCl/A1C13.
- Explain the electrophillic substitution of reactions of pyrrole.
- How will you prepare 1, 3, 5 trinitrobenzene?
- Explain asymmetric synthesis.
PART – C
Answer any FOUR questions (4 x 10 = 40 marks)
- (i) How will you separate the mixture of amines by Hinsberg method.
(ii)Explain the coupling reactions of benzene diazonium chloride.
- Explain the various methods of Resolution of a racemic mixture.
- Write the preparation, properties and uses of diazoacetic ester.
- Explain any two following rearragngements with mechanism
(i) Benzilic (ii) Cope (iii) Curtius
- i) Name the following compounds based on R and S configuration and represent it in
flying wedge, sawhorse and Newmann projection formula.
(ii) Differentiate of enantiomersfrom diastereomers.
- (i) Explain Hoffmann’s rearrangement.
(ii) Outline the synthetic utility of Benzene diazonium chloride.