LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – ADV. ZOOLOGY & BIOTECH.
SECOND SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
PB 2102/2100 – ESSENTIALS OF PLANT BIOLOGY
Date : 23-04-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
Answer all, each answer within about 50 words: (10 x 2 =20 marks)
- What is hormogonium?
- What are sporocarps?
- Define plant nomenclature.
- List out the different components of a floral formula.
- Define vascular cambium.
- Mention the type of vascular bundle in dicot stem and root.
- Write the importance of pollenkitt.
- Mention the contribution of hypophysis towards embryo development?
- What is essential oil? Give one example.
- Define condiments. Give one example.
PART B ( 5 x 7 = 35 marks)
Answer the following, each answer within 500 words. Draw diagrams wherever necessary.
11 a. Describe the internal structure of coralloid root of Cycas.
- Explain the structure of antheridium and archegonium of Funaria.
12 a. Describe the taxonomic features of Caesalpiniaceae.
- Linnaeus system of plant classification is called as an artificial system – Justify
13 a. Explain the theories of meristem.
- Briefly explain the anomalous secondary growth in Bignonia.
14 a. Describe the ultramicroscopic structure of pollen grain.
- Explain the various steps involved in double fertilization.
15 a. Write the economic importance of any three fibre yielding plants.
- Write the economic importance of any three timber yielding plants.
PART C ( 3 x15 = 45 marks)
Answer any three of the following, each within 1200 words only. Draw diagrams wherever necessary.
- Describe the life cycle of Puccinia.
- Write notes on aestivation and placentation.
- Describe the anatomical features of monocot and dicot leaves. Add a note on their types of
- Write an essay on the structure and development of various types of endosperm.
- Write the binomial, family, morphology of useful parts and uses of sweet flag, tobacco,
wheat, redgram and sesame.