LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
FIFTH SEMESTER – April 2009
PB 5509 / 5500 – PLANT PHYSIOLOGY
Date & Time: 16/04/2009 / 9:00 – 12:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
PART – A (20 MARKS)
- CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER.
- Dark reaction takes place in ________ of chloroplast.
- Thylakoid Stroma c. Grana d. Frets.
- Enzymes required for respiration are found in
- Glyoxysome b) Mesophyll c) Mitochondria d) Peroxisome
- The End Product of Glycolysis is
- a) Pyruvic Acid b) Acetic Acid c) Oxalo Acetic Acid d) Phosphoglyceric Acid
- Parthenocarpy is brought about by
- Cytokinin b) Ethylene c) Gibberellins d) Abscissic Acid
- Chlorosis occurs due to the deficiency of
- Copper b) Iron c) Phosphorous d) Boron
- STATE WHETHER THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS ARE TRUE OR FALSE
- The first stable compound produced in Calvin cycle is 3-phosphoglyceric
- Photorespiration is called C3
- Auxins are used as weed killers.
- Vernalization shortens the vegetative period of the plants.
- Seeds, that, wait for suitable environmental condition to germinate are said to be QUIESCENT.
- COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING:
- C4 plants exhibit _____________ anatomy of leaves.
- _________ is the precursor for Auxin.
- In CAM cycle the first product is _______ Acid.
- The germination by red-light and inhibition by far-red light involves the operation of a proteinaceous pigment called ___________.
- In the presence of light water gets dissociated into Hydrogen ions & Hydroxyl ions. This is called ___________.
- ANSWER THE FOLLOWING EACH WITH IN 50 WORDS.
- Define water potential?
- What are Quantosomes?
- What ate Cytochromes?
- What is the significance of Photo respiration?
PART – B (5 x 8 = 40 marks)
ANSWER ANY FIVE OF THE FOLLOWING. EACH NOT EXCEEDING 350 WORDS.
- What is Transpiration. What are its kinds. Also add notes on Antitranspirants.
- Explain Donnan’s Equilibrium.
- Explain the Glycolate Pathway.
- Explain Trans amination.
- What are the causes for Dormany.
- Explain Photoperiodism.
- Give a brief account of Bioassay for Auxins.
- Explain the effects Vernalization.
PART – C (2 X 20 = 40 MARKS)
ANSWER THE FOLLOWING, EACH NOT EXCEEDING 1500 WORDS. DRAW DIAGRAMS WHEREVER NECESSARY.
- Write an essay on Biological Nitrogen Fixation.
Explain the Kreb’s cycle.
- Write down the practical uses of the hormones
- Auxins b) Gibberelins c) Cytokinins d) Ethylene
Write an essay on cyclic photophos phorylation. Mention a note on its significance.