LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
THIRD SEMESTER – APRIL 2011
PB 3508/PB 4505 – CELL BIOLOGY AND ANATOMY
Date : 25-04-2011 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
PART – A (20 MARKS)
- Choose the correct answer (5 x 1 = 5)
- The annular diaphragm is present in the microscope
- Phase contrast b) Compound c) Fluorescent d) Dark – field
- Anisocytic stomata is seen in
- Hibiscus b) Solanum c) Ixora d) Oryza
- The nongranular peripheral part of cytoplasm is known as
- hyaloplasm b) endoplasm c) ectoplasm d) kinoplasm
- The minute particles present in mitochondrian outer membrane are called:
- Glyoxysomes b) Peroxisomes c) Lysosomes d) Oxysomes
- Cork cambium is an example of meristem:
- Lateral b) Primary c) Apical d) Intercalary
- State whether the following statements are True or False (5 x 1 = 5)
- Raphide is a non-protoplasmic cell inclusion.
- The mesophyll tissue is undifferentiated in dorsiventral leaves.
- The main axis of Lampbrush chromosome contains a series of thickenings called chromomeres.
- Lysosomes originate from golgi bodies.
- In a dark field microscope, the light intensity is controlled by iris diaphragm.
- Complete the following (5 x 1 = 5)
- The Tunica – corpus theory was proposed by ________________.
- The tips of chromosomes are called ______________.
- Vascular bundles are collateral and closed in the stems of ____________.
- Cystolith is made up of ____________.
- Proteins are synthesized by the cell organelles called ________________.
- Answer the following each within 50 words (5 x 1 = 5)
- State the principles of Light microscope.
- Define Cell theory.
- What are Lenticels?
- Comment on phagocytosis and pinocytosis.
- What are peroxisomes?
PART – B
Answer any FIVE of the following, each in about 350 words.
Draw necessary diagrams. (5 x 7 = 35 marks)
- a) Briefly describe the working principle of fluorescent microscope.
- Describe the ultra structure and function of endoplasmic reticulum.
- a) Give an account of the various stages of mitosis.
- b) Describe briefly the theories on Apical meristem.
- a) Describe the chemical composition of Nucleus.
- b) Write short notes on cell cycle.
- a) Discuss about meristematic tissues.
- b) Write notes on the ultra structure of plant cell wall and its chemical composition.
- a) Describe the structure of Achyranthes root.
- b) Discuss the structure of Dracaena
PART – C
Answer any THREE of the following, each within 1,200 words. Draw necessary diagrams.
(3 x 15 = 45 marks)
- Explain the structure, working principles and components of Transmission Electron
- Discuss in detail about the various stages of meiosis. Add a note on its significance.
- Explain the structure of vascular tissues.
- Compare the anatomy of dorsiventral and Isobilateral leaves.
- Explain the ultra structure, chemical composition and function of mitochondria.