LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
DEGREE EXAMINATION – ADV. ZOOLOGY
SECOND SEMESTER – APRIL 2007
PB 2100/PB 3100 – ESSENTIALS OF PLANT BIOLOGY
Date & Time: 23/04/2007 / 1:00 – 4:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Part A (20 marks)
Answer All questions
I Choose the Correct Answer ( 5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- Match A) hormogonium B) microspore C) plectostele D) conidia with
- Lycopodium ii. Aspergillus iii. Nostoc iv. Cycas.
- A-iii, B- ii, C-iv, D- i
- A-iii, B- iv, C-ii, D-i
- A-iii, B- i, C-iv, D –ii
- A-iii, B- iv, C-i, D-ii
- In Achyranthes aspera the phyllotaxy is
- alternate b. opposite decussate
- opposite superposed d. whorled
- Statement A- Phloem parenchyma is the only living tissue among phloem components
Statement B- It is absent in monocots.
- statement A is correct, but statement B is incorrect.
- Statement B is correct, but statement A is incorrect
- Both A and B are correct
- Both A and B are incorrect.
- The ovule is bent round like a horse shoe in
- orthotropous b. anatropous c. amphitropous d. campylotropous
- Antibiotic tomatine is obtained from the seeds of ——————.
- Vitis vinifera b. Cinnamomum zeylanicum
- Pyrus malus d. Lycopersicum esculentum
II State whether the following statements are True or False (5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- Marsilea is an aquatic pteridophyte.
- According to Bentham and Hooker’s system of classification ,the series bicarpellatae
has 4 orders and 24 families.
- Mesophyll is differentiated into palisade tissue and vascular tissue.
- Primary endosperm nucleus is haploid in nature.
10.Zingiber officinale dilates blood vessels and thus causes a feeling of warmth.
III. Complete the following ( 5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- Two types of roots namely ———– and ———— roots are seen in Cycas.
- Artificial system of classification is also called as —————.
- In exarch xylem, ———— lies towards periphery and ———towards centre.
- The ubish bodies are present in ————- cells.
- The scientific name of turmeric is ——————–.
- Answer all, each in about 50 words ( 5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- Write down the systematic position of Lycopodium.
- Write short notes on “ Die Naturlichen Pflanzenfamilien”.
- Distinguish between radial and collateral vascular bundles.
- What is the function of tapetum?
- Give the binomial of any two condiments.
PART B ( 5 x 8 = 40 marks)
Answer any five, each within 350 words only. Draw diagrams and flowcharts wherever necessary.
- Describe the cell structure of Nostoc. Add a note on its systematic position.
- Explain the male sex organs of Funaria.
- Describe the process of secondary thickening in dicots.
- Bring out the differences between dicot root and monocot root.
- Mention the characteristic features of the family Lamiaceae.
- Give an illustrated account of the development and organization of the monosporic
type of embryosac.
- Give the binomial, family, morphology of useful parts and uses of any two each of
narcotics and edible oil yielding plants.
- Write the botanical name, family, morphology of useful parts and uses of Cardamom,
Sandal wood, Sweet flag and Teak.
PART C ( 2 x 20 = 40 marks)
Answer the following, each within 1500 words only. Draw diagrams and flowcharts wherever necessary.
29 a. Why Puccinia graminis is called heteroecious rust? Explain its life cycle.
- What are permanent tissues? How are they classified? Give an account of complex
30 a. Describe the floral characters of the families Caesalpiniaceae and Amaranthaceae
giving floral formula and floral diagrams.
- Describe the structure and development of dicot embryo.
Go To Main page