About Tehri Garhwal District :
Tehri Garhwal is one of the western most district of the Uttarakhand State located on the outer ranges of the mid Himalayas which comprise low line peaks rising contiguously with the planes of the northern India. The district lies between the parallels of 30.3` and 30.53` north latitude and 77.56` and 79.04` east longitude. Uttarkashi from the north, Rudraprayag from the east, Puri Garhwal from the south and Dehra Dun from the west are bounding the districts. On the western front Yamuna river separates it from Jaunsar Pragana of the Dehra Dun district while Bhagirathi rising from the north of the Gangotri in the district Uttarkashi touches the district near village Nagun. Total area of the district is 4421 sq. kms (Census 1991). The district headquarter is located at New Tehri Town. The places of tourist interests in the districts are Buda Kedar, Devprayag, Khatling Glacier, Narendra Nagar, Sem Mukhem, Chamba, Dhanaulti, Kunjapuri New Tehri, Surkanda Devi, Chandrabadni, Kempty Fall and Nagtibba
District at a Glance :
- District –
- Headquarters –
- Total –
- Rural –
- Urban –
- Rural –
- Urban –
- Male –
- Female –
- Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males) –
- Density (Total, Persons per sq km) –
- Loksabha –
- Official Website –
Tourist Place :
Buda Kedar :
This temple is situated at the confluence of the Bal Ganga and Dharam Ganga rivers, at a motorable distance of 59 kms. from Tehri. It is believed that Duyodhan offered tarpana here.
According to legends, it is at this temple that the Pandavas encountered Rishi Balkhily at Bhrigu Parvat when they were on the lookout for Shiva after the Kurukshetra battle. The Rishi directed them to the site of the confluence to meet an old manmeditating there. But when the Pandava got there, the old man vanished and instead, a shivling appeared there. Rishi Balkhily instructed the Pandavas to embrace the Shivling in order to free themselves from their sins. Their impressions are stamped on this Shivling – the biggest Shivling in northen India.
Situated at the confluence of the Alaknanda and the Bhagirathi, the town of Devaprayag lies at an altitude of 472 m. on the metalled road running from Rishikesh to Badrinath and about 87 km. from Narendra Nagar. Near the town there are two suspension bridges, one each on the Bhagirathi and the Alaknanda. The metalled road to Badrinath crosses the former by a third bridge. The town is the headquarters of the tahsil of the same name and is one of the five sacred prayags (confluences) of the Alaknanda. Tradition has it that the town is named after Deosharma, a sage, who led a life of penance here and succeeded in having a glimpse of God.
The great temple of Raghunathji is claimed to have been erected some ten thousand years ago and is built of massive uncemented stones. It stands upon a terrace in the upper part of the town and consists of an irregular pyramid capped by a white cupola with a golden ball and spire. Religious ablutions take place at 2 basins excavated in the rock at the junction of the holy streams – on the Bhagirathi known as the Brahm Kund and the other on the Alaknanda called the Vasisht Kund. The temple, along with the other Buildings of the town, was shattered by an earthquake in 1803 but the damage was subsequently repaired through the munificence of Daulat Rao Sindhia. The temple is visited by a large number of pilgrims every year.
The town is the seat of the pandas of the Badrinath Dham and possesses a post and telegraph office, a public call office, a police out-post, a dak bungalow of the public works department and a hospital.
Besides the temple of Raghunathji, there are in the town Baital Kund,Brahm Kund,Surya Kund and Vasisht Kund; the Indradyumna Tirth,Pushyamal Tirth, Varah Tirth ; Pushpavatika ; Baitalshila and Varahishila ; the shrines of Bhairava, Bhushandi, Durga and Vishveshvara ; and a temple dedicated to Bharata. A bath at Baithalshila is claimed to cure leprosy.
Nearby is the Dasharathachal Peak, containing a rock, known as Dashrathshila, on which Raja Dasharath is said to have led a life of penance.A small stream, the shanta running down from the Dasharathachal, is named after Shanta, the daughter of Raja Dasharath and is considered to be sacred.
Chamba :60 kms. from Mussoorie and 48 kms. from Narendra Nagar on the road to Gangotri. Chamba is a township lying high at an altitude of 1676 mts., offering a splendid view of the snow-capped Himalayas and the serene Bhagirathi valley. Chamba happens to be a focal point, being located at the junction of roads leading from Mussoorie, Rishikesh, Tehri and New Tehri. The Chamba- Mussoorie fruit belt is also famous for its delicious apples. Jal Nigam Rest House, Tourist Rest House, Hotel Akash Deep, Akash Lok, Neelkant, Social Palace & Hotel Classic Hill Top provide comfortable accommodation