LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PHYSICS
THIRD SEMESTER – APRIL 2008
PH 3106 – APPLIED ELECTRONICS
Date : 29-04-08 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
Part – A
Answer ALL Questions. (10×2=20)
- With neat Fermi diagrams explain what happens to the Fermi level when donors are added to an intrinsic semiconductor.
- Write a note on Light Emitting Diodes.
- State any four properties of an ideal Op-amp.
- With a neat diagram, explain how an Op-amp may be used as an integrator.
- What are don’t care states in K-maps?
- Simplify using Boolean identities.
- Discuss the racing condition in a JK flip-flop.
- Draw the circuit diagram of a three bit ring counter.
- Write a note on the registers of the processor.
- Write a note on the memory hierarchy in a computer.
Part – B
Answer any FOUR. (4×7.5=30)
- With neat diagrams explain the working of common emitter and common base transistor amplifiers.
- With a neat diagram, explain the working of a four bit binary weighted D/A convertor.
- With neat diagrams explain how NAND gates may be used as universal building blocks.
- With a neat diagram explain the working of an RS flip-flop.
- Write notes on Cache and Virtual memories of a computer.
Part – C
Answer any FOUR. (4×12.5=50)
- With a plot of the volt-ampere characteristics of a zener diode, explain how it may be used as a voltage regulator.
- With neat diagrams, explain the working of a four bit counter A/D converter.
- With circuit neat diagrams, explain the working of a full adder and a half subtractor. (7+5.5)
- With neat circuit and wave diagrams explain the working of a four bit ripple counter.
- Write notes on RAM, ROM, EEPROM, UVEPROM. (3+3+3+3.5)