LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI-600 034.
M.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – ZOOLOGY
third SEMESTER – APRIL 2003
ZO 3801 / Z 923 environmental biology
9.00 -12.00 Max: 100 Marks
PART – A (2 ´ 10 = 20 Marks)
Answer ALL questions. Answer in two or three sentences.
01. What are soil-forming rocks?
02. Comment on Edge effect.
03. What is cryopreservation?
04. What are Heterotherms?
05. Differntiate plankton from neuston.
06. Comment on gene bank.
07. What is exobiology?
08. What is paleoecology?
09. Comment on Red data book.
10. What are detritivores?
PART – B (4 ´ 10 = 40 Marks)
Answer any four of the following.
- Discuss briefly the physical and Chemical characteristics of soil.
- Explain the need and functioning of a seed bank.
- Discuss briefly the importance of microbes in relation to human health.
- Explain the various methods used in the population –
- Give an account of energy budgeting with suitable example.
- Discuss briefly about the life support system in space travel.
PART – C (2 ´ 20 = 40 Marks)
Answer any two of the following
- Discuss in detail the role of temperature as an ecological factor.
- Explain the various reason for the reduction of biodiversity with a note on conservation methods.
- What is biogeochemical cycle? Explain with two examples.
- Discuss in detail the intra specific relations.