LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
SIXTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2006
CH 6605 – INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY
(Also equivalent to CHE 605)
Date & Time : 26-04-2006/9.00-12.00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Answer the following 10×2 = 20
- What are renewable and nonrenewable energy resources?
- How is producer gas manufactured?
- How are chemical fuels classified?
- What are herbicides? Cite two examples.
- Give approximate chemical composition of any one mixed fertilizer.
- What are the ions responsible for making water hard?
- How are suspended impurities in water removed?
- What is acid rain? What are its consequences?
- Explain origin of poisoning of ground water by cyanide ions.
- Give any two differences between paints and dyes.
Answer any eight of the following: 8×5 = 40
- Define calorific value of a fuel. State advantages and disadvantages (two each) of gaseous fuels over solid fuels.
- What is coal? Explain its preparation, properties and uses.
- Write short notes on primary and secondary fuels.
- Explain the role of micronutrients in agriculture.
- What is triple superphosphate? How is it prepared?
- Give the preparation and two uses of lime – sulphur.
- Explain differences between temporary hardness and permanent hardness of water
- Describe reverse osmosis, with special reference to desalination of sea water.
- Explain (ii) green house effect and (ii) ozone layer depletion
- What are the ways of reducing carbonmonoxide pollution in atmospheric air?
- What are plastics? What are their advantages? How do they affect environment?
- Write notes on food industry.
Answer any four of the following: 4×10 = 40
- Explain the significance of the following constituents of coal (i) moisture (ii) volatile matter (iii) carbon (iv) ash.
- Explain of petroleum. Discuss advantages of catalytic cracking over thermal cracking.
- Write notes on (i) phosphatic fertilizers (ii) annealing of glass
- Discuss the use of complexometric titrations in estimating hardness of water.
- How is river water converted into potable water?
- Discuss methods to treat industrial waste water and gases.