LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Com. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CORPORATE SECRETARYSHIP
SIXTH SEMESTER – April 2009
BC 6603 – INDUSTRIAL LAW
Date & Time: 23/04/2009 / 9:00 – 12:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
SECTION – A
- Answer all the questions: 10 x 2 = 20 Marks
- What are the objectives of the Factories Act, 1948?
- Who is an Occupier?
- Who is an adolescent as per the Factories Act, 1948?
- What is meant by gratuity?
- What is meant by Superannuation?
- What is disablement as per the workmen’s compensation Act, 1923?
- Write short notes on occupational diseases.
- What is meant by Arbitration?
- State the provisions relating to crèche as per the Factories Act, 1948.
- What is meant by benefit period as per the ESI Act, 1948?
SECTION – B
- Answer any FIVE questions only: 5 x 8 = 40 Marks
- Briefly explain the provisions relating to safety as per the Factories Act, 1948.
- Describe the rules regarding annual leave with wages.
- State the provisions relating to determination and recovery of gratuity as per the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972
- Define and distinguish between lay-off and retrenchment.
- Explain the rules relating to contribution as per the ESI Act, 1948.
- Explain the provisions relating to distribution of compensation as per the Workmen’s compensation Act, 1923.
- Highlight the rules relating to payment and forfeiture of gratuity as per the Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972
- Explain the following:
- Theory of Notional Extension (b) Total permanent disablement (c) Unfair trade practice (d) Doctrine of assumed risks
SECTION – C
III. Answer any TWO questions only: 2 x 20 = 40 Marks
- Describe in detail the various benefits available to employees as per the Employees State
Insurance Act, 1948.
- Explain the provisions relating to Health and Welfare as per the Factories Act.
- Explain the role played by settlement and adjudicatory machinery in the settlement of