LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION – ENGLISH LITERATURE
FIRST SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
EL 1501 – LITERARY FORMS AND LITERARY APPRECIATION
Date : 10/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 1:00 – 4:00
PART – A
- Answer ALL the questions in 25 words each, Write brief notes on the following: (10 × 3 = 30)
- Three Unities.
- Tragic Flaw.
- One-Act Play.
- Tragic hero.
PART – B
- Answer any FIVE of the following in about 150 words each: (5 × 8 = 40)
- What are the salient qualities of an Epic?
- Define Tragedy.
- Discuss the Ode as an important form.
- Briefly describe Puritanism.
- Bring out the features of Post-war movements.
- Examine the major aspects of the Metaphysical school of poetry.
- Write a note on the Art for Art’s sake movement.
- Explain Postmodernism.
PART – C
III. Answer any ONE of the following in not less than 250 words each: (1 × 15 = 15)
- Discuss the impact of Renaissance on English Literature.
- Show how English literature was impacted by the Renaissance.
PART – D
- Attempt an appreciation of the following poem in 200-250 words: (15 marks)
A Prayer in Spring by Robert Frost
Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers to-day;
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.
Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.
And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.
For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfil.