LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
M.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – MEDICAL LAB. TECHNOLOGY
FIRST SEMESTER – NOV 2006
ML 1809 – MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
Date & Time : 31-10-2006/1.00-4.00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Answer all the questions 2X10=20marks
- Mention the role of topoisomerases?
- Draw the secondary structure of t-RNA
- What is Chargaff’s rule?
- Write notes on a) heterochromatin b) euchromatin
- List the different kinds of lysosomes and their functions
- What is RNA polymerase holoenzyme?
- What is photoreactivation repair mechanism?
- Expand the abbreviations
- a) APC b) CDKS
- What is the role of tyrosine kinases in cancer?
- What is Turner’s syndrome?
Answer any four of the following 4X10=40marks
- Explain the special constraints relevant to genetic testing
- Explain the molecular structure of double stranded DNA.
- Describe the mechanism of transcription in eukaryotes.
- What are leading and lagging strands? List out the enzymes of DNA replication and their functions.
- Write a short note on viral oncogene.
- Give an account of on excision and recombination repair mechanisms.
Answer any two of the following 2X20=40marks.
- Draw the eukaryotic cell and write notes on a) endoplasmic reticulum.
- b) golgi complex c) mitochondria.
- Explain in detail the process of protein synthesis in prokaryotes.
- Describe in detail the regulation of eukaryotic cell cycle.
- Explain in detail the active transport of materials across plasma membrane.