LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
U.G. DEGREE EXAMINATION – GENERAL ENGLISH
SECOND SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
EL 2059 / 2063 – ENG. FOR RES.DEVL.THROUGH CUR.TREND
Date : 20-04-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
I Read the instructions carefully and answer the following: 30 marks
Fill in the blanks:
- 1. The ‘Tragic Storm of 1947’ refers to……………………
- The word ‘Refugee’ means……………………
- ‘Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men’ signifies the season of ……………………
- The discrimination between the Whites and the Blacks could be called as………..
- The problem that exists between Dalits and other sections of society can be termed as………
- 2012 is called as …………………century.
Choose the Correct answer :
- Mr. Joackim was awarded the
- Nobel Prize b. Booker Prize. C. Pulitzer Prize d. Magsaysay Prize
- 12,000 families were displaced and moved to a new place and Mr. Jockim christened it as:
- Janata Colony b. Cheetah Camp c. New friends Colony d. People’s Colony
- Bombay Slum Dwellers’ Federation was later renamed as :
- SPARC b. NGO c. Mahila Milan d. NSDF
Identify whether the following statements are True or False:
- 10. The people in the first room were hollow-cheeked and empty eyed.
- True b. False
- The people in the first room made use of the spoon to help each other.
- True b. False
- Heaven and Hell situations are not made by human behavior.
- True b. False
Answer in one sentence each:
- ‘The men talked for hours on end’. Who are the men referred to?
- ‘It faced a blank wall’. What is the scene described?
- ‘He just wanted to encourage you’. Whose words are these?
Make meaningful sentences using the underlined words:
- ‘The bus crew refused to ply the bus’
- ‘The driver refused to budge’
Give the meaning of the following words:
- 18. Reward Abuse 20. Discover
- 21. Rearrange the following sentences to make a meaningful paragraph: 5 marks
The children’s comment, “It works. He was happy”
One hundred girls received him waving a golden daisy
“God says we are to make him happy”.
The children offered him the food that he liked most
The young staff and the children would take over
- Match the following : 5 marks
Mr. Nelson Mandela – Promotes collaboration among nations
UNICEF – Blacks should march forward
Dr. Manmohan Singh – Have no fear. Don’t treat him as an enemy
Mrs. Van Beuningen – First servant of the country
UNESCO – Rights of Children
II Read the following passage and answer the questions given below: 5×2=10
A successful business man was growing old and knew it was time to choose a successor
to take over the business. Instead of choosing one of his Directors or his children, he
decided to do something different.
He called all the young executives in his company together. He said, “It is time for me to
step down and choose the next CEO. I have decided to choose one of you. I am going to
give each one of you a SEED today – one very special SEED.
I want you to plant the seed, water it, and come back here one year from today with what
you have grown from the seed I have given you. I will then judge the plants that you bring,
and the one I choose will be the next CEO.”
One man, named Jim, was there that day and he, like the others, received a seed. He went
home and excitedly, told his wife the story. She helped him get a pot, soil and compost and
he planted the seed. Everyday, he would water it and watch to see if it had grown. After about
three weeks, some of the other executives began to talk about their seeds and the plants
that were beginning to grow.
Jim kept checking his seed, but nothing ever grew. Three weeks, four weeks, five weeks
went by, still nothing. By now, others were talking about their plants, but Jim didn’t have
a plant and he felt like a failure. Six months went by — still nothing in Jim’s pot.
Everyone else had trees and tall plants, but he had nothing .Jim didn’t say anything to his
colleagues, however, he just kept watering and fertilizing the soil – He so wanted the seed
A year finally went by and all the young executives of the company brought their plants
to the CEO for inspection. Jim felt sick to his stomach, it was going to be the most
embarrassing moment of his life, . He took his empty pot to the board room.
When Jim arrived, he was amazed at the variety of plants grown by the other executives.
They were beautiful – in all shapes and sizes. Jim put his empty pot on the floor and many
of his colleagues laughed, a few felt sorry for him!
When the CEO arrived, he surveyed the room and greeted his young executives.
Jim just tried to hide in the back. “My, what great plants, trees and flowers you have grown,”
said the CEO. “Today one of you will be appointed the next CEO!”
All of a sudden, the CEO spotted Jim at the back of the room with his empty pot.
He ordered the Financial Director to bring him to the front. Jim was terrified.
He thought, “The CEO knows I’m a failure! Maybe he will have me fired!”
When Jim got to the front, the CEO asked him what had happened to his seed, Jim told him
the story. The CEO asked everyone to sit down except Jim. He looked at Jim,
and then announced to the young executives, “Behold your next Chief Executive Officer!
His name is “Jim!” Jim couldn’t believe it. “How could he be the new CEO?” the others said.
Then the CEO said, “One year ago today, I gave everyone in this room a seed.
I told you to take the seed, plant it, water it, and bring it back to me today. But I gave you
all boiled seeds; they were dead – it was not possible for them to grow. All of you,
except Jim, have brought me trees and plants and flowers. When you found that the
seed would not grow, you substituted another seed for the one I gave you. Jim was the
only one with the courage and honesty to bring me a pot with my seed in it.
Therefore, he is the one who will be the new Chief Executive Officer!”
If you plant honesty, you will reap trust
If you plant humility, you will reap greatness
If you plant perseverance, you will reap contentment
So, be careful what you plant now;
it will determine what you will reap later.
- What did the businessman instruct his executives to do?
- What did Jim take for inspection after one year? What did the young executives take?
- Why was Jim chosen as CEO? Name the two qualities the businessman appreciated in Jim? 4. What do you reap if you plant perseverance? And what should you plant to reap trust?
- Give the antonyms ( opposites) of : a) failure b) arrived.
III Using the points given and adding your own, write an essay on Violence against Women:10 marks
Every six hours, a married woman in India is burnt alive, beaten to death or driven to suicide.
At least 15,000 women are raped, 30,000 are molested and 5000 fall to dowry deaths.
“ For women in Usilampatti, not killing the female child is going against the order of society,”
There was an ordinance against eve teasing after the death of a college girl Sarika, there is a Dowry Prevention Act, but nothing comes out of these.”
Psychological, economic and physical violence against women is not unique to South Asia but is a global curse.
IV a. Fill in the blanks choosing either ‘OUGHT TO’ or ‘MUST’: 4 marks
- You …………… exercise regularly.
- He ………………….apologize for his mistakes.
- They………………..pay the fine.
- We …………………help the poor and the needy.
- Choose the right prepositions and fill in the blanks. 6 marks
(at, into, on, along, under, up)
- To get to the Marketing department, you have to go ______ those stairs and then ______
the corridor to the end.
- I saw something about it ______ television
- He was driving ______ 180 miles per hour when he crashed ______ the central barrier.
- It’s unlucky to walk ______ a ladder in my culture.
V Answer any Two of the following in about 50 words each : 2×5=10
- Write a short note on “Bhima Sangha”.
- Whom did Mr.Arputham Jockin team up to fight for the rights of the slum dwellers?
- How did Mrs. Van Beuningan win the heart of the first commandant?
- Write about the terrible incident that snapped the last thread of the faith of Maanji.
VI Answer any two of the following in about 200 words each. (2 x 15 = 30 )
- Explain any three types of discrimination that you find in the Indian society and suggest ways to abolish these discriminations.
- What are the deliberate actions of Rosa Parks which paved the way for the Black Revolution?
- List some of your worries. Choose the foremost in your mind. What techniques will you apply to re -engineer the worry?
- Discuss some of the problems associated with child labour. Suggest some practical ways to eradicate child labour.
- How are college students presented in films? How would you like films to present college students?
Go To Main Page