LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034 B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION – ECONOMICS
FIFTH SEMESTER – NOV 2006
EC 5400 – SOCIAL ECONOMICS
(Also equivalent to ECO 400)
Date & Time : 03-11-2006/9.00-12.00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Part – A
Answer any FIVE questions in about 75 words each. (5 x 4 = 20 marks)
- Define social economics.
- What is slavery?
- How to measure BPL?
- What is disguised unemployment?
- What is differential rate interest? or credit subsidies?
- Who is a beggar? Explain.
- What is investment in human capital?
Part – B
Answer any FOUR questions in about 300 words each. (4 x 10 = 40 marks)
- Explain the characteristics of social economics.
- Discuss the various types of unemployment.
- Bring out the requisites of economic growth.
- What is the social banking? Explain.
- Explain the causes of crimes.
- Explain the role of National Health Insurance Scheme in India.
- Discuss the meaning of business manipulation.
Part – C
Answer any TWO questions in about 900 words each. (2 x 20 = 40 marks)
- Describe the causes and remedial measures of poverty.
- Analyze the recent reservation issues in India.
- Critically evaluate the problems of beggary in India and give remedial measures.
Discuss refugee problems in India with special reference to Srilankan refugees. Give your suggestion to solve this problem.