Loyola College Sociology Of Literature Question Papers
Loyola College B.A. English Nov 2012 Sociology Of Literature Question Paper PDF Download
LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION – ENGLISH LITERATURE
THIRD SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
SO 3101/3100 – SOCIOLOGY OF LITERATURE
Date : 07/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
(10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
Answer ALL questions in 30 words each. All questions carry equal marks:
- Define sociology.
- State the relation between status and role.
- What are ‘sociologically aware works’?
- List out the three salient features of semiotics.
- What, according to Sartre, is the most profound philosophy of our times and what
is the role he envisaged for existentialism in promoting this philosophy?
- Was Karl Marx summarily critical of the Bourgeoisie and their contribution to
- Explicate cultural studies.
- Mention any four methods used in cultural analysis.
- What was the aim of Shah’s study on Gujarati literature?
- Briefly explain Devadasi system.
(5 × 8 = 40 Marks)
Answer any FIVE questions in 300 words each. All questions carry equal marks:
- What is status and how is it portrayed in English literature?
- Briefly explain the methodological aspects of hermeneutics.
- Illustrate structuralist analysis of literature.
- Enumerate the features of formalism.
- Delineate the scope of cultural analysis.
- Sketch out the political situation in pre-colonial Gujarat.
- Bring out Lukacs critique of literature.
(2 × 20 = 40 Marks)
Answer any TWO questions in 1200 words each. All questions carry equal marks:
- “Mrudula Shah’s work is a classic in Sociology of literature” – Comment.
- Evaluate Marx’ as a writer and as a literary critic.
- Discuss Ruth and Wolff’s notion of sociology of literature. Comment on its scope
- Examine structuralism and its implication to literary studies.