LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
M.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – MEDICAL LAB. TECH.
FIRST SEMESTER – April 2009
ML 1809 – MOLECULAR BIOLOGY
Date & Time: 28/04/2009 / 1:00 – 4:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Answer ALL the following. 10 x 2 =20 marks
- Draw the structure of nucleus and add a note on it.
- Expand a) FDA b) CLIA c) ASCLD d) CDC.
- What is the difference between prader – willi syndrome and angelman syndrome?
- List the different classes of Oncogene.
- Mention the role played by CFTR in human body.
- Write the difference between rho-dependent and rho-independent terminators.
- Write the original wobble predictions.
- Define mutagen.
- Mention the role played by DNA unwinding proteins
- What are types of euploidy?
Answer any FOUR of the following. 4 x 10=40 marks
- Explain the structure and function of RNA.
- Describe cystic fibrosis in detail.
- Explain the forensic identity testing by DNA analysis.
- Describe the four rules that govern the synthesis of bio-polymers with illustrations.
- Give an account on Sickle cell anaemia.
- Describe the three common DNA excision repair mechanisms in our body.
Answer any TWO of the following. 2 x 20=40 marks
- Explain the mechanism of translation.
- Describe the translocation of mutations in various types of cancer
- Draw the structure of eukaryotic cell and explain a) Golgi bodies b) Mitochondria
- Explain the morphology and functional elements of eukaryotic chromosomes