Hon’ble Mr. Justice Ravi Malimath:Born on 25-05-1962. Enrolled as an Advocate on 28-01-1987 at Bangalore. Practiced in Constitutional, Civil, Criminal, Labour, Service, Mainly at Karnataka High Court, Bangalore. Appointed as an Additional Judge of the High Court of Karnataka on 18-02-2008 and permanent Judge on 17-02-2010
The present city of Hisar, one of the important cities of North India, is located at 2905’5”north latitude and 75045’55” east longitudes. It is situated one hundred sixty four kilometers west to Delhi on the National Highway number ten.
The city of Hisar was founded by a Muslim ruler, Firozshah Tughlaq in 1354 A.D. ‘Hisar’ is an Arabic word which means ‘Fort’. The city, which we know today as ‘Hisar’, was originally called ‘Hisar Firoza (also Hisar-e-Firoza) or in other words the ‘Fort of Firoz’. But as the days rolled by, the very word ‘Firoza’ was dropped from its original name.
It was in these lands that the very first evidence of the presence of man was discovered with the excavation of Agroha, Banawali and Kunal. All of these were the pre-Harappan settlements, bringing for us the very first images of pre-Historic times. The presence of the pillar in Hisar fort belonging to the time of Emperor Ashoka (234 A.D.) originally from Agroha, the discovery of coins of the Kushan Kings tells tales of ancient India.
The construction work of the Hisar city was started in the year 1354 A.D. under the personal supervision of Firozshah himself who stayed here for a sufficient time. The boundary wall of Hisar Firoza was built up of stones brought from the hills of Narsai. The Fort city was also surrounded by big ditch dug round the wall. A large and deep tank was constructed inside the fort, and the water used to replenish the ditch. Inside the fort a fine palace, having a complex of different buildings was built. Well laid out gardens added to the beauty of the palace. The initial stage of the city, it was reported, was completed after the incessant work of two and a half years.
The nobles and Amirs were also directed by the Sultan to get the residences built here. The buildings were constructed with lime and burnt bricks. The fort-city had four gates which were subsequently named as the Delhi Gate and Mori Gate to the east, the Nagori Gate to the south and Talaqi Gate to the west.
While constructing the palace, popularly known as ‘Gujari Mahal’ for his beloved, Firozshah also built a new city around it. The Gujari Mahal still stands in its austere majesty. This palace is a complex of different buildings, including the royal residence of the sultan Firozshah, Shahi Darwaza, Diwan-e-Aam, Baradari with three tehkhanas, a Hamam, a Mosque and a Pillar. The style of architecture of the Gujari Mahal is dignified. The palace has beautifully carved stone pillars.
It is true that most of the materials used for the constructing the Gujari Mahal complex was of Hindu or Jain temples, but there is nothing unusual about it because the conquerors would often do like that. It is thus a routine practice of history.
In 1408 Hisar felt into the hands of the rebels, but was recovered by the royal army under the Emperor Mahmud Tughlaq in person. In 1411 the tract of Hansi came into the hands of Khizar Khan, and he ascended to the throne of Delhi in 1414 as the first Sultan of Sayyad Dynasty. In 1420 the fief of Hisar was conferred on Mahmud Hassan as reward for good services. During the feeble dynasty of the Lodhis (1451-1526) Hisar rather Haryana continued to form a parts of Haryana, was granted as a fief to Muhabbat Khan in the reign of Bahlol Lodi (1451-89)
When Babur invaded India in the 1524-26, Hisar was an important strategic center of Ibrahim Lodi’s empire. Before the battle of Panipat in 1526, on reaching the Ghaggar, Babur learnt that the troops from Hisar, led by Hamid Khan, were advancing towards him. He then dispatched prince Humayun with a sufficient number of army who succeeded in defeating the enemy. Babur handed over the city of Hisar to Humayun as a reward for his success in his first military expedition. Humayun ruled over India twice first from 1530 to 1540 and again from 1555 to 1556. During his first reign a mosque known as Jama Masjid was built here by Amir Muhammad in 1535.
During Akbar’s reign (1556-1605) Hisar became once more a place of considerable importance. It was made the headquarters of the revenue Division known as sirkar. As some of Mughal Princes who were attached with Hisar, subsequently became the Emperors. The city of Hisar then known in the history of India as the Duke of Wellington of Mughal Era.
The last noteworthy actor in the history of the tract of Hisar before the advent of the British power was George Thomas (1756-1802). He was an independent ruler of the tract of Haryana, including Hisar, from 1797m to 1802. The Jahaz Pul and the Jahaz Kothi situated to the east of the city of Hisar, still remind the great Irish adventurer. Thomas used the Jahaz Kothi, which was once a Jain temple and afterwards converted into a mosque, as a residence.
It gained importance in early sixties when Agriculture University was setup as an extension of the Punjab Agriculture University, Ludhiana. Ever since, the Government ‘s positive policies have played a vital role in the economic development of the city. The industrial policy of the Government has attracted large number of entrepreneurs and has resulted into the industrialization in and around the city.
District at a Glance
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011)
Population (Census 2011)
Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males) –
Density (Total, Persons per sq km) –
Official Website –
Tourist Places :
(1) ANCIENT MOUND AGROHA
LOCATION: 22 Km. from Hisar on Hisar-Fazilka road
The excavations at Agroha have brought to light the antiquities from the 3rd-4th century B.C to 13th -14th century A.D Some of the structures like defense wall, shrines cells unearthed here, are of great historic significance, The residential houses seen here, are rectangular in plan, having east-west orientation. About seven thousand antiquities have been recovered during the excavations, These includes stone sculptures, terracotta sealing, iron and copper implements, beads of semi-precious stone, shell, glass and Terri cotta. A number of coins and sculptures including terracotta objects have also been found from this site.
(2) JAHAJ KOTHI
LOCATION: Hisar town
George Thomas a native of Ireland and uncrowned ruler of the territory between Sirsa and Rohtak got this monument built for his residence. Owing its isolated position it appears like a ship in the ocean and thereby won the name Jahaj Kothi.It might have also got its name due to distortion of the word George to Jahaj over thr years by the locals. After the defeat of George by the Britishers, James Kothi for some time before the construction of his residential Palace at Hansi.
(3) ANCIENT GUMBAD
LOCATION: Government Collage Complex,Hisar town
This monument is the tomb of Pranpir Badshah (belonging to the early 14th Century A.D) the spiritual teacher of Sher Bahlol or Dana Sher. He was a great Sufi Saint and Prophesid that Ghiyas-ud-din Tughluq would become the king of Delhi.
(4) BARSI GATE
LOCATION: At Hansi, 26 Km east of Hisar on Hisar-Delhi road
The majestic Barsi Gate standing amidst the bazar of Hansi town was the main entrance to the ancient fort of Hansi.Even today, it is an imposing gate of the outer defense wall of the Hansi Fort. A Persian epigraph inscribed above the doorway records the date of its contructions (in A.H) which corresponds to the year 1304-1305 A.D
(5) FORT OF PRITHVI RAJ
LOCATION: At Hansi
The fort known as Prithvi Raj-Ka-Qila has completely been converted into a mound except for a few monuments of pre-Mughal period that can be seen here. A long pillared structure with a flat roof is situated on the top of the mound. It is called Baradari.Some time back 57 bronze images of Jain Tirthankaras were recovered from this site.
(6) DURGAH CHAR QUTAB
LOCATION: At Hansi
West of the town has a group of monuments with in the tomb complex known as Char-Qutabs, Jamal-ud-Din Hansi (1187-1261 AD) Burhan-ud-Din (1261-1300 A.D) Qutab-ud-Din Manuwar (1300-1303) and Nur-ud-Din (1325-1397 A.D) were the celebrated Sufi Saints of their times and designated as Qutabs. This monuments celebrates the last testing place of these saints.The dargah has been subjected to many changes. The tomb is connected to a small mosque.It is said that it is built at the place where Baba Farid used to meditate and offer prayers. One of the most imposing edifices of this structure is the large Mosque in the northen enclosure which was constructed by Firoz Shah Tuglaq. Other important monuments in the complex are the tomb of Mir Tijarah who was the chief purveyor (Tajarah) of Sultan Hamid –ud-Din of Hansi.Mir Ali or Alam was a disciple of Jamal-ud-Din and is said to have built the tomb for his teacher. But he himself was entombed here due to his early demise.Other monuments in the complex are the twin tombs of Begum Skinner, four chhatries Known as Char Diwan and Ek Diwan.