Hon’ble Mr. Justice K. M. Joseph:- Born on 17/6/1958. Educated at Kendriya Vidyalaya, Kochi and New Delhi, Loyola College, Chennai and Govt. Law College, Ernakulam. Enrolled as Advocate on 12/01/1982 in Delhi and started practice in Civil and Writ matters. Practised at the High Court of Kerala from 1983. Permanent Member of Kerala High Court Advocates Association. Appointed as Permanent Judge of the High Court of Kerala on 14/10/2004. Transferred to High Court of Uttarakhand and assumed charge on 31/07/2014 as Chief Justice of the High Court of Uttarakhand at Nainital.
Howrah is a relatively small district in West Bengal with an area of 1467 sq km. Howrah district lies between 22°48′ N and 22°12′ N latitudes and between 88°23′ E and 87°50′ E longitudes. The district is bounded by Hooghly River and districts of North 24 Parganas and South 24 Parganas on the east, on the north by the Hooghly district (Arambagh and Shrirampur sub-divisions) and on the south by Midnapore East district. The district consists of one Municipal Corporation, two Municipalities and 14 Blocks. Howrah Municipal Corporation is the second largest Urban Local Body in the State. The district of Howrah has been a traditional hub of industrial infrastructure and skilled manpower in the small scale and tiny industrial sector and has played a pivotal role in the State’s economy due to which it was known as “Sheffield of the East”. Traditionally, Howrah had been a strong manufacturing base, particularly in the engineering and foundry sectors, and has over the years developed a number of clusters in the areas of lock making, shuttle cock, zari, jewellery etc. Prior to synthetic polo balls coming into the game, Howrah was known for its production of polo balls.
At a Glance :
Administrative set UP :
District Head Quarter:
25+1(1 addl women PS)
Area and Population:
Density of population
per sq. k.m
Percentage of population:
Educational Institutions :
University(Gen. & Tech.)
Tourist Places :
The Howrah Station :
It is the gateway of Kolkata, the capital of West Bengal to the rest of the country. Developed towards the early part of the twentieth century, it has become one of the most important transitpoints for passengers and goods movement in the country. The present station building will be completing its glorious 100 years in 2006.
Howrah is the terminus of the first Indian Railway system namely East Indian Railsays. A survey for the East Indian Railway was taken up in 1845 and construction began in 1851. The section of the Railways, a Broad guage railway 5’6’’ was opened in 1854 from Howrah to Hooghly. In 1855 the line was extended up to Ranigunj and in 1862 up to Benares. After construction of the first Howrah Bridge in 1874, the Howrah Station was remodeled and improved. The other great line, the Bengal Nagpur Railway also a Broad gauge Railway, was extended to Howrah in 1900, thus connecting it with Nagpur and Bombay on the west Cuttak, Puri and Madras on the South. After this the station was further remodeled and became a joint station for E.I. Rly. and B.N. Rly. The old station was made over to the B.N. Rly. The E.I. Rly and B.N. Rly were subsequently renamed as Eastern Railway and South Eastern Railway respectively. Howrah station has now become a large imposing building facing the river with clock Tower and twenty long platforms for the passenger trains and three for the goods trains.
The Howrah Bridge or the Rabindra Setu :
The old Howrah Bridge, a floating pontoon Bridge, was opened in October 1874 and made over to Port Commissioners who managed and maintained it. Designed by the late Sir Bradford Leslie, it had a total length of 1528 feet between centers of abutments and provided a 48 feet roadway and two 7 feet footways. The most novel feature was the removal section which when floated out gage a 200 feet clear openings, with a head room of 22 feet, were also provided for smaller crafts. The adjusting ways or shore spans, one at each end of the bridge, consisted of three 160 feet long bow sting girders.
The traffic between commercial Kolkata and industrial Howrah having enormously increased during the first quarter of the 20th Century, the old b ridge was quite insufficient and it was decided to build a new one. The shifting mode of the river Hooghly was dangerous for either a cantilever or a suspension Bridge and hence a Bridge was designed as a sort of combination of the both. It was however known as and a reputed cantilever Bridge and is the third largest bridge of its kind in the World having a over-all length if 2150 feet with a single span of 1500 feet. The new Howrah Bridge was designed by M/s. Rendell, Palmer and Tritton, consulting Engineers. It took 8 years to complete the bridge and 26,000 tons of steel including 18,200 tons of high tensile quality were used. The total cost of construction of the land and all ancillary works, amounted Rs. 3.33 crores.
It is interesting to note that the Bridge expands about 4.8 inches during the heat of the day and contracts equal length in the cool of the night. Another peculiarity of the Bridge is that the Bridge bends over slightly in strong winds. The framework has also been built to withstand earth-quakes, as Calcutta lies in a Seismic zone.
The height of the Bridge at the supporting towers on the both ends in 300 feet. Each tower has a constant width of 11 feet and a tapering from 8’6’’ to4’6’’ at the top. The entire structure is laid on main piers of re-enforced concrete monoliths with steel ceiling edges. Each pier is 181’6” long by 81’6” wide and is amongst the largest in the world. The monoliths and grinders on Calcutta side are 103 feet deep and on the Howrah side it is 88 feet deep. These monoliths are the heaviest in the world.
The Great Banyan Tree
Belur Math & Temple :
Belur Math is situated just outside the boundary of Howrah Municipal Corporation on the north and stand on the West Bank of the river Hooghly. It was founded in 1897 by Swami Vivekananda, the great servant of India, and other disciples of Sri Sri Ramkrishna Paramhansa, who is regarded by the Hindus as an incarnation of God and occupies a place of great honour amongst the religious leaders of the world. A magnificent temple has been build at a great cost by the unique munificence of two pious American ladies, Miss Helen Rubel and Mrs. Auna Worcester. The breadth of the shrine is 100 ft and its length, including the prayer hall, is 233 ft. On a marble pedestal in the shrine is a marble statue of Sri Ramkrishna in his familiar asana. The prayer hall is 152 ft. long, 72 ft. wide and 48 ft. high.
The math is the head quarter of the Ramkrishna Mission, a society established for the propagation of the orthodox Hindu faith chastened with modern outlook. There is also a large Museum inside the Math on the lives of Sri Ramkrishna and his close disciples. The temple and the math is visited by countless people, most of whom are religiously inclined, to celebrate the birthday anniversary of Sri Ramkrishna (18th February 1836) in February when a fair is held there. The place also attracts large number of visitors from Kolkata and abroad every day, especially on Sundays and holidays.
Second Hooghly Bridge or Vidyasagar Setu :
Vidyasagar Setu – otherwise known as the second Hooghly Bridge opened to the traffic in 1992 is the finest product of modern architecture and technology. It is intricately connected with cities of Kolkata and Howrah by a series of over bridges and situated at a distance of 1.5 k.m. southwards of Ravindra Setu. It is erected on only four pillars and hung on 121 number of iron ropes. The bridge is 458 meters long and 115 meters wide. One can have a glimpse of a large part of Kolkata standing at the middle of the Bridge. The beauty of the bridge and its background is largely utilized by the Film Industry for shooting purposes.
Hon’ble Mr. Justice B.Sreenivas Gowda:Born on 16-06-1956. Enrolled as an Advocate on 17-07-1982 at Bangalore. Praciced in Civil, Criminal, Labour, Service & Constitutional laws at Bangalore. Appointed as an Additional Judge of the High Court of Karnataka on 02-06-2008 and Permanent Judge on 05.09.2011
Hon’ble Mr. Justice Ravi Malimath:Born on 25-05-1962. Enrolled as an Advocate on 28-01-1987 at Bangalore. Practiced in Constitutional, Civil, Criminal, Labour, Service, Mainly at Karnataka High Court, Bangalore. Appointed as an Additional Judge of the High Court of Karnataka on 18-02-2008 and permanent Judge on 17-02-2010
Jhajjar a small town in the state of Haryana is known for its developing economy and infrastructural growth. Today it counts amongst the fast developing regions of Haryana with focus on public welfare. Previously a part of Rohtak district, it was carved out of it and became, an independent one on 15th July 1997. Jhajjar has all that is required for living well. The
government has invested in various areas such as building new roads, health care system, schools, woman empowerment projects, providing electricity and much more for the development of the district and also for the development of the people residing there. Beside various essential services are also available for the benefit of the people. Being a historic city, the government has taken measures to protect the historical monuments and has provided various aids to the tourism industry so that tourists visit this place more often. With all the facilities at disposal, a visit to Jhajjar would be an enriching experience for the tourists visiting the city
The present city of Hisar, one of the important cities of North India, is located at 2905’5”north latitude and 75045’55” east longitudes. It is situated one hundred sixty four kilometers west to Delhi on the National Highway number ten.
The city of Hisar was founded by a Muslim ruler, Firozshah Tughlaq in 1354 A.D. ‘Hisar’ is an Arabic word which means ‘Fort’. The city, which we know today as ‘Hisar’, was originally called ‘Hisar Firoza (also Hisar-e-Firoza) or in other words the ‘Fort of Firoz’. But as the days rolled by, the very word ‘Firoza’ was dropped from its original name.
It was in these lands that the very first evidence of the presence of man was discovered with the excavation of Agroha, Banawali and Kunal. All of these were the pre-Harappan settlements, bringing for us the very first images of pre-Historic times. The presence of the pillar in Hisar fort belonging to the time of Emperor Ashoka (234 A.D.) originally from Agroha, the discovery of coins of the Kushan Kings tells tales of ancient India.
The construction work of the Hisar city was started in the year 1354 A.D. under the personal supervision of Firozshah himself who stayed here for a sufficient time. The boundary wall of Hisar Firoza was built up of stones brought from the hills of Narsai. The Fort city was also surrounded by big ditch dug round the wall. A large and deep tank was constructed inside the fort, and the water used to replenish the ditch. Inside the fort a fine palace, having a complex of different buildings was built. Well laid out gardens added to the beauty of the palace. The initial stage of the city, it was reported, was completed after the incessant work of two and a half years.
The nobles and Amirs were also directed by the Sultan to get the residences built here. The buildings were constructed with lime and burnt bricks. The fort-city had four gates which were subsequently named as the Delhi Gate and Mori Gate to the east, the Nagori Gate to the south and Talaqi Gate to the west.
While constructing the palace, popularly known as ‘Gujari Mahal’ for his beloved, Firozshah also built a new city around it. The Gujari Mahal still stands in its austere majesty. This palace is a complex of different buildings, including the royal residence of the sultan Firozshah, Shahi Darwaza, Diwan-e-Aam, Baradari with three tehkhanas, a Hamam, a Mosque and a Pillar. The style of architecture of the Gujari Mahal is dignified. The palace has beautifully carved stone pillars.
It is true that most of the materials used for the constructing the Gujari Mahal complex was of Hindu or Jain temples, but there is nothing unusual about it because the conquerors would often do like that. It is thus a routine practice of history.
In 1408 Hisar felt into the hands of the rebels, but was recovered by the royal army under the Emperor Mahmud Tughlaq in person. In 1411 the tract of Hansi came into the hands of Khizar Khan, and he ascended to the throne of Delhi in 1414 as the first Sultan of Sayyad Dynasty. In 1420 the fief of Hisar was conferred on Mahmud Hassan as reward for good services. During the feeble dynasty of the Lodhis (1451-1526) Hisar rather Haryana continued to form a parts of Haryana, was granted as a fief to Muhabbat Khan in the reign of Bahlol Lodi (1451-89)
When Babur invaded India in the 1524-26, Hisar was an important strategic center of Ibrahim Lodi’s empire. Before the battle of Panipat in 1526, on reaching the Ghaggar, Babur learnt that the troops from Hisar, led by Hamid Khan, were advancing towards him. He then dispatched prince Humayun with a sufficient number of army who succeeded in defeating the enemy. Babur handed over the city of Hisar to Humayun as a reward for his success in his first military expedition. Humayun ruled over India twice first from 1530 to 1540 and again from 1555 to 1556. During his first reign a mosque known as Jama Masjid was built here by Amir Muhammad in 1535.
During Akbar’s reign (1556-1605) Hisar became once more a place of considerable importance. It was made the headquarters of the revenue Division known as sirkar. As some of Mughal Princes who were attached with Hisar, subsequently became the Emperors. The city of Hisar then known in the history of India as the Duke of Wellington of Mughal Era.
The last noteworthy actor in the history of the tract of Hisar before the advent of the British power was George Thomas (1756-1802). He was an independent ruler of the tract of Haryana, including Hisar, from 1797m to 1802. The Jahaz Pul and the Jahaz Kothi situated to the east of the city of Hisar, still remind the great Irish adventurer. Thomas used the Jahaz Kothi, which was once a Jain temple and afterwards converted into a mosque, as a residence.
It gained importance in early sixties when Agriculture University was setup as an extension of the Punjab Agriculture University, Ludhiana. Ever since, the Government ‘s positive policies have played a vital role in the economic development of the city. The industrial policy of the Government has attracted large number of entrepreneurs and has resulted into the industrialization in and around the city.
District at a Glance
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011)
Population (Census 2011)
Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males) –
Density (Total, Persons per sq km) –
Official Website –
Tourist Places :
(1) ANCIENT MOUND AGROHA
LOCATION: 22 Km. from Hisar on Hisar-Fazilka road
The excavations at Agroha have brought to light the antiquities from the 3rd-4th century B.C to 13th -14th century A.D Some of the structures like defense wall, shrines cells unearthed here, are of great historic significance, The residential houses seen here, are rectangular in plan, having east-west orientation. About seven thousand antiquities have been recovered during the excavations, These includes stone sculptures, terracotta sealing, iron and copper implements, beads of semi-precious stone, shell, glass and Terri cotta. A number of coins and sculptures including terracotta objects have also been found from this site.
(2) JAHAJ KOTHI
LOCATION: Hisar town
George Thomas a native of Ireland and uncrowned ruler of the territory between Sirsa and Rohtak got this monument built for his residence. Owing its isolated position it appears like a ship in the ocean and thereby won the name Jahaj Kothi.It might have also got its name due to distortion of the word George to Jahaj over thr years by the locals. After the defeat of George by the Britishers, James Kothi for some time before the construction of his residential Palace at Hansi.
(3) ANCIENT GUMBAD
LOCATION: Government Collage Complex,Hisar town
This monument is the tomb of Pranpir Badshah (belonging to the early 14th Century A.D) the spiritual teacher of Sher Bahlol or Dana Sher. He was a great Sufi Saint and Prophesid that Ghiyas-ud-din Tughluq would become the king of Delhi.
(4) BARSI GATE
LOCATION: At Hansi, 26 Km east of Hisar on Hisar-Delhi road
The majestic Barsi Gate standing amidst the bazar of Hansi town was the main entrance to the ancient fort of Hansi.Even today, it is an imposing gate of the outer defense wall of the Hansi Fort. A Persian epigraph inscribed above the doorway records the date of its contructions (in A.H) which corresponds to the year 1304-1305 A.D
(5) FORT OF PRITHVI RAJ
LOCATION: At Hansi
The fort known as Prithvi Raj-Ka-Qila has completely been converted into a mound except for a few monuments of pre-Mughal period that can be seen here. A long pillared structure with a flat roof is situated on the top of the mound. It is called Baradari.Some time back 57 bronze images of Jain Tirthankaras were recovered from this site.
(6) DURGAH CHAR QUTAB
LOCATION: At Hansi
West of the town has a group of monuments with in the tomb complex known as Char-Qutabs, Jamal-ud-Din Hansi (1187-1261 AD) Burhan-ud-Din (1261-1300 A.D) Qutab-ud-Din Manuwar (1300-1303) and Nur-ud-Din (1325-1397 A.D) were the celebrated Sufi Saints of their times and designated as Qutabs. This monuments celebrates the last testing place of these saints.The dargah has been subjected to many changes. The tomb is connected to a small mosque.It is said that it is built at the place where Baba Farid used to meditate and offer prayers. One of the most imposing edifices of this structure is the large Mosque in the northen enclosure which was constructed by Firoz Shah Tuglaq. Other important monuments in the complex are the tomb of Mir Tijarah who was the chief purveyor (Tajarah) of Sultan Hamid –ud-Din of Hansi.Mir Ali or Alam was a disciple of Jamal-ud-Din and is said to have built the tomb for his teacher. But he himself was entombed here due to his early demise.Other monuments in the complex are the twin tombs of Begum Skinner, four chhatries Known as Char Diwan and Ek Diwan.
Education Qualifications:M.A., B.Ed. Educated at Vikram University, Ujjain, P.G.B.T. College, Ujjain and Maharani Luxmibai College, Jiwaji University, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
Positions Held:Aug. 2009 Elected to Rajya Sabha
Aug. 2009 onwards
Member, Committee on Food, Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution
July 2010 onwards Member, Consultative Committee for the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
April 2012 Re-elected to Rajya Sabha (second term)
Aug. 2012 onwards Member, Committee on Food, Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution
Born on 29.01.1969 in a family of lawyers. Father of His Lordship was a leading lawyer practicing in the Punjab and Haryana High Court. His Lordship did B.Com (Hons.) from Goswami Ganesh Dutta Sanatan Dharma College, Sector 32-C, Chandigarh, and after completing his graduation in Law from Panjab University, Chandigarh, in the year 1992, was enrolled as an Advocate with the Bar Council for the States of Punjab and Haryana. His Lordship is a keen Badminton player and participated in various tournaments.
His Lordship as an Advocate conducted cases primarily pertaining to civil and tax matters and was elected as Chief Patron of the Punjab Tax Bar Association. His Lordship was elevated as an Additional Judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court on 10.07.2017.
His Lordship was born on 31st October, 1962 in Village Jagsi District Sonepat (Haryana). His Lordship’s father late Shri Ram Sarup Sehrawat was a renowned school Teacher of the area. His Lordship studied in his village school upto middle standard and thereafter did his schooling from S.M. Hindu High School, Sonepat upto matriculation. After doing his graduation (B.Sc.) (B.ED) from All India Jat Heroes Memorial (AIJHM) College, Rohtak in the year 1982-83. His Lordship took admission in Law Department at Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra in 1983 and obtained Degree in Law in the year 1986 and enrolled as member of Bar Council of Punjab and Haryana. Further did post graduation in Political Science from Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak in the year 1988. His Lordship dealt with the matters pertaining to civil, criminal, Labour, Constitutional and other matters involving intricate questions of law. His Lordship also represented Pt. B.D. Sharma University of Health Sciences, Rohtak since 09.08.2010. Remained as Legal Advisor-cum-standing counsel for (i) Haryana State Handlooms & Handicrafts Corporation ; (b) Haryana State Coop. Housing Development Federation and (iii) Haryana Financial Corporation. His Lordship had also remained in the office of Advocate General, Haryana as Senior Deputy Advocate General, Haryana from 17.7.2001 to 23.02.2004 He was elevated as an Additional Judge of the Punjab and Haryana High Court, Chandigarh on 10th July , 2017.