District Profile :
Physical and Cultural Landscape
|Rajgarh District is located in the Northern part of Malwa Plateau. It forms the North Western part of Division of Bhopal Commissioner. Rajgarh District extends between the parallels of Latitude 23027′ 12″ North and 24017′ 20″ North and between the meridians of Longitude 76011′ 15″ and 77014′ East. It has a Quadrangular shape with the Northern and Western sides longer than the Southern and Eastern sides respectively. The zigzag boundaries of the District resemble a pear. Rajgarh District is bounded by Shajapur District in the South as well as west. The District of Sehore, Bhopal, Guna and Jhalawar (Rajasthan) enclose it from the South-East, East, North-East, and North directions respectively. The total Geographical area of the District is 6,154 sq.km. with a population of 15,45,814 according to census 2011. It is one of the small districts of Madhya Pradesh both in respect of area and population. It is 145 KMs from the State capital Bhopal|
History as an Administrative Unit
|The District takes its name from the headquarters town Rajgarh. Rajgarh District was constituted after the formation of Madhya Bharat in May, 1948. Prior to this the area of the present District was parceled out among the States of Rajgarh, Narsinghgarh, Khilchipur, Dewas (Senior) Dewas (Junior) and Indore. Rajgarh was the headquarters of a mediatised State, ruled by the Umat Rajputs and branch of the great paramara clan, they enjoyed a Sanad Estate under the Sultans of Delhi and Mughal emperors in succession. The first capital was Duparia, now in Shajapur District. Later on it was shifted to Dungarpur (19 Km from Rajgarh) and then to Ratanpur (19 Km. west of Narsinghgarh) and back. Inorder to avoid disturbance by the frequently passing Mughal armies, the Ruler of the Estate, Mohan Singh, acquired the present side, originally known as Jhanjhanipur from the Bhils in A.D. 1640. Finally he shifted the headquarters in the year 1645, giving the place its present name.|
During the reign of Akbar (A.D. 1556-1605) a Khilat and a Sanad were granted to Udaji of Tatanpur. At that time, Sarangpur was a Sarkar in the Subah of Malwa. Its jurisdiction extended from the western part of present Sehore District to the eastern part of Ujjain District. Among its twentyfour mahals many have retained their original names and are identified as Ashtah, Talain (Talen), Agra (Agar), Bajilpur (Bijilpur), Bhorsah, Khiljipur, Jirapur, Sarangpur, Sondarsi (Sundarsi), Sosner (Sunner) Sajapur, Kayath and Navgam (Tarana)1. In 1908, Rajgarh State was divided in to seven Parganas, namely Newalganj, Biaora, Kalipith, Karanwas, Kotra, Seogarh and Talen. Narsinghgarh State was divided into four Parganas, namely Huzur (Narsinghgarh), Pachor, Khujner and Chhapera. The Parganas were place in the charge of a Tahsildar each for revenue matters and magisterial work.2 Khilchipur State was divided into three Paraganas. Sarangpur was as now, the tahsil headquarters of Dewas (Senior) and Dewas (Junior) States. Jarapur was a tahsil of Mahidpur District of former Indore State. It has now been abolished and merged in Khilchipur tahsil.
|In 1645 with the permission of Rajmata, Deewan Ajab Singh defeated the Bhils in the hilly region of Rajgarh and he constructed a Palace in 1745 which was having five main gates namely, Itwaria, Bhudwaria, Surajpol, Panradia and Naya Darwaja. And it constitutes three very ancient temple namely Raj Rajeshwar Temple, Chatubhujnathji Temple and Narsingh Temple, and in which Rajmata and his 15 year old son Rawat Mohan singh was living safely. In Jhanjherpur which was capital and it is having a palace due to which this place is known as Rajgarh and it had become famous.|
At present the District is divided into five Subdivisions and seven tehsils.
|SNo||Name of Place||Location||Historical Importance|
|1.||Biaora||Bank of Ajnar River||700 years old Chaturbhujnath Temple and 400 years old Raghunathji Temple|
|2.||Talen||Bank of Ugal River||Remain Political place of Sindhia and Holkar.|
|3.||Kotra||Ancient Town||Shyamsighji Khinchi was the Ruler|
|4.||Suthalia||Near Parwati River||Famous Temple of Mahadev|
|5.||Napanera||Hilly Area||Ruled by Sothalia|
|6.||Ghurel||Between Biaora & Suthalia||Famous temple of Pasupatinath|
|7.||Kalipeeth||Situated in Bhilwara||400 year old Temple|
|8.||Chhagoda||15 miles away from Rajgarh||Famous Caves|
|Rivers & Lakes|
|Sno||River / Lake||Place|
|2||Newaj||Rajgarh & Pachore|
Revenue Administrative Division :
|Sno||Sub-Division||Tehsil||Area in Sq Km||Population 2011||No. of Villages|
Political setup :
Representation of District in the Parliament
|Parliamentary Constituency : 20 Rajgarh|
The representation of District in the Assembly
|SNo||No.||Assembly Name||Extent of Constituency|
|2||161||Biaora||Biaora Tehsil & some part of NarsinghgarhTehsil|
|3||162||Rajgarh||Rajgarh Tehsil & some part of Khilchipur Tehsil|
|4||163||Khilchipur||Khilchipur Tehsil & Zirapur Tehsil|
Tourist Places :
Narsinghgarh Town :
The town is nearly 300 years old having been founded in 1681 by Dewan Parasram. The beautiful lake in the town in which is reflected the old fort and palace still bears the name of the founder. The town is 83 Kms. from the Bhopal and is reached by a good road. The site of the town is the place of temple of Shiva – then known as Topila Mahadeo, for the persons who lived there manufactured toplis or basket. Hence the name stick. It is however in the autumnal months that the place becomes exceedingly picturesque and beautiful. From the top of the Baijnath Mahadeo temple the pleasant panorama is very appealing, with the lakes of full limpid water, with the land carpeted in lush green grass, with the small streams racing down the slopes of the hills and hills themselves covered with good vegetation and as rustling wind sweeps the murmuring countryside adorned with mellowing crops, radiant in the evening sun, the brilliance of blue skies seems to evenly matched with the grandeur of the green.
Shyamji Sanka Temple-Narsinghgarh :
|A Sanka is a small village situated near the river Parvati and is about 5Km from Kotra , once its tehsil headquarter of Rajgarh State. Each year in the month of magh a mela is held here and is known as Shyamji-ka-mela.The famous temple of Shyamji was built in the memory of the king Sangram Singh (Shyam Singh) by his wife Bhagyawati in the 16-17th century, the king died in an encounter with a mughal soldier of Haji Wali. The temple is protected by the state govt. . It has beautiful paintings on the wall reflecting the Malwi & Rajashthani effects, the beautiful and well carved stones & bricks were used to construct the temple.|
Jalpamata Temple-Rajgarh :
|A beautiful temple is just 4 Kms. from Rajgarh. It is on the high hill & you can have a picturesque view of the town from the top. It is covered with dense forest having different varieties of plants. The devotee come from different parts in the navratri season.|
Dargah Shareif- Rajgarh :
|A saint HAZRAT SYED. QURBAN ALI SHAH BADAKHSHANI known as “Baba Badakshani R.A.” born in 1245 (hijri) at Badakshan & came to India in 1268 (hijri) from Badakhshan of Afganistan and later he came to Rajgarh in 1309 hijri. In the year 1914 A.D. he died on 20th of the holly month of Ramazan of 1334 hijri. Since then his death anniversary is celebrated as “URS” in the month of March from 10-12. People of all communities from all over the India and some of other countries come in to the URS for spiritual gain.
Dargah Shareef, Masjid and other buildings were founded by the Mutawalli of Dargah Shri Syed. Mushtaq Ali Rizvi Sandelvi after the death of Baba Sahib. At present all managements of Dargah Shareef and URS programme is managed by the Present Mutawalli of Dargah Shri Syed. Mushtaq Rizvi.
Wild Life Sancutary of Narsinghgarh is among one of the 35 sancturies of M.P. established in 1978 under Forest Division Rajgarh Social Forestry. Sanctuary is situated on N.H.12 (Jabalpur-Jaipur) 70 Kms from Bhopal, 221 Kms from Indore, 35 Kms from Biaora and 278 Kms from Kota. (Latitude:23035′ to 23040′ North, Longitude:7702′ to 77010′ East, Height form Sea Level: 462.07 to 576.08 meter). It is covered 57.197 Sq. Km. (Reserve Forest) area. Due to its natural beauty it is one of the most beautiful place of Rajgarh district, so it is also known as “Kashmir of Malwa” region.
In the center of this sanctuary “Chidikho Lake” is situated which is one of the attraction among the tourists. This sanctuary is built by the rulers of the state and in the ancient time this sanctuary is used for hunting purpose by the rulers. Migratory birds from different places reaches here in this sanctuary. The lake situtated here is having special appearance due to which the local people named this lake as “Chidikho Lake”. Here in this sanctuary we can have a glimpse of local birds and migratory birds. State bird Dhoodh Raj is mainly seen here in this sanctuary. National bird peakock is mainly seen in this sanctuary and in nearby areas. The climatic condition is suitable for the national bird peakock. And this sancutary is having a chance to develope as Mayur Park Area of this sanctuary is sufficient for wild animals. 11 GULBAGH, CHEETAL in large number and SAMBHAR, NEELGAI are mainly found. We can see them freely roaming in this sanctuary. Near to “CHIDIKHO LAKE” JAMUN KHO,ANDHIYAR KHO, DHUWALI wild animals can be seen. Work is done for protection and preservation of wild animals.
Biora Mandu-Narsinghgarh :
The village is said to be over 1000 years old having been named after a Kulmi patel. The muslim troops used to be stationed here and legend has it , that it was from here that they saw the five sola Khamba at Bihar (Narsinghgarh). It is situated on the bank of Kali Sindh river and 10Km from the Sarangpur tehsil. It was the scene of battle in 1813 & 1847
It was once a teshsil of Rajgarh state. It is situated 10 Km from south of Narsinghgarh. It is on the fringe of forest and some old Shikargarh (hunting place) are well laid out.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: