Simon Commission of Indian History:
- simon commissionIn November 1927, the British Government appointed the Indian Statutory Commission, popularly known as Simon Commission, to go it to the question of further constitution reform.
- The Congress passed a resolution to boycott the Simon Commission at its Madras session 1927.
- The day Simon landed at Mumbai ; 3 February 1928 all the major cities and towns observed a complete hartal.
- The Madras session 1927 was presided over by Dr. Ansari.
- On the arrival of the Commission in Mumbai in 1928, it met with the slogan ‘‘Go back Simon’’.
- There were Seven members in the Simon Commission. but no Indian.
- Lala Lajpat Rai was severely wounded in a police Lathi charge and died while protesting against the Commission.
- To avenge the death of Lala Lajpat Rai, Bhagat Singh shot dead General Saunders.