LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – ADVANED ZOOLOGY & BIO-TECH.
SECOND SEMESTER – April 2009
PB 2102 / 2100 / 3100 – ESSENTIALS OF PLANT BIOLOGY
Date & Time: 25/04/2009 / 1:00 – 4:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Answer all questions (20 Marks)
I Choose the correct answer (5×1 =5 Marks)
- Match A) heterocyst B) conidia C) operculum D) microsporophyll with
- i) Funaria ii) Nostoc iii) Cycas iv) Aspergillus
- a. A-ii, B-iv, C-iii, D-i A-ii, B-i, C-iv, D-iii
- A-ii, B-iv, C-i, D-iii d. A-ii,,B-iii, C-iv,D-i
- Bilabiate corolla is present in
- a. Ocimum sanctum Achyranthes aspera c. Allium cepa d. Gomphrena globosa
- Pick the odd one out:
- Fibre b. Sclereid c. Sclerenchyma d. Collenchyma
- Dimorphic tapetum is found in
- Alectra thomsonii b. Acorus calamus c. Helleborus foetidus d. Santalum album
- Coffee plant belongs to the family
- Rubiaceae b. Umbelliferae c. Apocynaceae d. Asteraceae
II State whether the following statements are true or false (5×1= 5 Marks)
- 06. Marsilea is included under the Subkingdom Chlorota.
- Leucas aspera has verticillaster type of inflorescence.
- Collateral, open vascular bundles are characteristic of dicot roots.
- The intine of the pollen grain is made up of sporopollenin.
- Grapes are used in the preparation of acetic acid.
III Complete the following (5×1 = 5 Marks)
- White rust fungus is the common name for _________________.
- Rules for naming of plants were originally proposed by ___________________.
- If the subsidiary cells are parallel to the guard cells, the type of stomata is said to
- The wall formation from the periphery towards the centre is called__________________.
- The unopened inflorescence of __________________ yields palm sugar.
- Answer the following, each in about 50 words (5x 1 = 5 Marks)
- Write down the systematic position of Lycopodium.
- Define taxonomic hierarchy.
- Distinguish between vascular cambium and cork cambium.
- What is Pollinium?
- Differentiate spices from condiments.
Answer the following, each within 350 words only. Draw diagrams and flowcharts wherever
necessary. (5x 7= 35 Marks)
21.a) Give an account of the habit and cell structure of Nostoc.
- b) Describe the sex organs of
22.a) Enumerate the salient features of Lamiaceae.
- b) Write the floral characteristics of Amaranthaceae.
23.a) What are meristems? Mention their characteristics. Write down the types of meristems.
- b) Describe the anatomy of dicot leaf.
24.a) Describe the internal structure of a mature anther.
- b) Describe the structure and development of nuclear endosperm.
25.a) What are cereals? Write the economic importance of any three cereals.
- b) What are narcotics? Write the economic importance of any three narcotic plants.
Answer any three of the following, each within 1200 words only. Draw diagrams and flowcharts wherever necessary. (3×15= 45 Marks)
- Describe the asexual and sexual reproduction of Ectocarpus.
- Give an account of Bentham and Hooker’s system of classification. Add a note on
its merits and demerits.
- Give a comparative account of the anatomy of dicot and monocot stem.
- Describe the structure and development of dicot embryo.
- Write the scientific name, family, useful parts and uses of two spices, two fibres and
two timber yielding plants.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: