LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY
THIRD SEMESTER – APRIL 2008
CH 3504 – THERMODYNAMICS
Date : 07/05/2008 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
PART – A (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
Answer ALL the questions.
- Define the term state junction.
- What is meant by Joule-Thomson effect?
- Define the heat of combustion.
- What do you understand by enthalpy change of a system?
- What is efficiency of a carnot engine?
- How is entropy of a system related to its temperature?
- State the Law of mass action.
- Why are exothermic reactions generally spontaneous?
- What are the properties of equilibrium constant?
- State the III law of thermodynamics.
PART – B
(8 x 5 = 40 marks)
Answer any EIGHT questions.
- The van der waals constants a and b for hydrogen in dm3 atm units, are 0.246 and 2.67 x 10-2 respectively. Calculate the inversion temperature of hydrogen. Define Ti.
- Derive Kirchoff’s equation.
- State and explain the heat capacity of a system. Show that you one mole of an ideal gas Cp – Cv = R.
- State and explain the term bond energy. Discuss its application.
- Define and explain the term heat of neutralization.
- Describe in detail the Carnot reversible cycle.
- State and explain the II law of thermodynamics.
- Derive the Gibbs – Helmholtz equation. Give its application.
- Explain the Le-chatelier Principle with an example.
- Derive the vant Hoff’s isotherm.
- Explain the various forms of equilibrium constants.
- Explain the Nernst heat theorm.
PART – C
(4 x 10 = 40 marks)
Answer any FOUR questions.
- Explain the postulates and derive the kinetic theory of gases.
- a) One mole of naphthalene was burnt in oxygen gas at constant volume to give carbon dioxide gas and liquid water at 250C. The heat evolved was found to be 5138.8 kJ. Calculate the enthalpy of reaction at constant pressure.
- b) Explain the term standard heat of formation.
- a) Derive the Maxwell’s equation.
- b) Derive the equation for entropy of mixing.
- Derive the equations and explain the dissociation of ammonia.
- a) Derive the relationship between Kp and Kc.
- b) Give any two applications of law of mass action.
- Explain how the absolute entropy of a substance is determined with the help of third law of thermodynamics.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: