Odisha Public Service Commission (OPSC) Preliminary Examination-2015 Held on November 8, 2015
General Studies Paper-I
1. With reference to the monuments built by the Mughals, which one the following pairs is not correctly matched?
(a) Buland Darwaza – Akbar
(b) Itimud-ud-Daula’s tomb – Jahangir
(c) Fatehabad Mosque – Babar
(d) Agra Fort – Shahjahan
2. Who was the first native ruler of India to accept Subsidiary Alliance?
(a) Nawab of Oudh
(b) Gaikward of Baroda
(c) Scindia of Gwalior
(d) Nizam of Hyderabad
3. Which Act did change the designation of Governor General of Bengal to Governor General of India?
(a) Regulating Act of 1773
(b) Charter Act of 1833
(c) Government of India Act of 1858
(d) Government of India Act of 1935
4. When did Ranjit Singh sign a treaty of perpetual friendship British at Amritsar?
5. Who is associated with introduction of local self government in India?
(a) Lord Dalhousie
(b) Lord Lytton
(c) Lord Ripon
(d) Lord Curzon
6. Which place did Kunwar Singh, a leader during the Revolt of 1857, belong to?
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(b) Madhya Pradesh
7. Consider the following events that occurred during India’s freedom struggle :
(1) Chauri-Chaura Violence
(2) Morley Minto Reforms
(3) Dandi March
(4) Mont-Ford Reforms
Which one of the following is the correct chronological order of their occurrence?
(a) 1, 3, 2, 4
(b) 2, 4, 1, 3
(c) 1, 4, 2, 3
(d) 2, 3, 1, 4
8. Where did Netaji Subhash Bose hoist the Indian Flag?
(b) Port Blair
9. Khajjiar lake is located in
(a) Tamil Nadu
(b) Himachal Pradesh
(d) Jammu & Kashmir
10. Minicoy and Suheli Islands are separated by
(a) Six Degree Channel
(b) Seven Degree Channel
(c) Eight Degree Channel
(d) Nine Degree Channel
11. Which of the following is a plant hormone?
12. The roots of a plant always grow downwards while shoots usually grows upwards and away from the Earth. It is known as
(d) All of the above
13. Type II diabetes is characterized by
(c) Both of the above
(d) None of the above
14. Artificial kidney helps
(a) remove nitrogenous waste products from block
(b) reabsorbs useful substances from tubules to blood
(c) secretes wasteful substances from blood to tubules
(d) All of the above
15. Coal should be used judiciously because it causes
(a) air pollution
(b) acid rain
(c) global warming
(d) All of these
16. Which of the following should be avoided in biological marriage?
(a) A+ boy and A− girl
(b) A+ boy and A+ girl
(c) O+ boys and O+ girl
(d) AB+ boy and AB+ girls
17. Which instrument is used for measuring the altitude, direction/ and velocity of clouds?
18. Which of the following instruments is used for measuring very high temperature?
19. Low pressure turning to cyclone is resulted if the temperature of water at the sea level rises above
20. Insulin is secreted from which gland or organ of human body?
(d) Small Intestine
21. Where was the first facial recognition ATM unveiled on May 30, 2015?
22. What has the UN declared the year 2015 as?
(a) International Year of Forests
(b) International Year of Soils
(c) International Year of Relieving the Hunger
(d) International Year of Food
23. Which country did top the medals tally at the 15th World Championship in Athletics held in August, 2015?
24. Which country’s First Woman President was sworn into office in February, 2015?
25. Where have the remains of a highly advanced water management system of Indus Valley Civilization been discovered?
26. Consider the following statements regarding Hatigumpha inscription :
(1) It is found in Khandagiri.
(2) It was discovered in 1820.
(3) It is written in Pali language.
(4) The inscription was deciphered by Jame Princep.
Which statement(s) is/are correct?
(a) 1, 2 and 4
(b) 1 and 3
(c) 2 and 4
(d) All are correct
27. Who was the Court Physician of Kaniska?
28. Which great Indian astronomer did give the theory that all things fell on the Earth by law of nature as it was Earth’s nature to attract and keep things?
29. Which of the following books was not written by Harshavardhana?
30. Who did introduce the system of land measurement in India?
(a) Alauddin Khilji
(b) Sikander Lodi
(c) Sher Shah Suri
31. Who has been appointed as the First Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog?
(a) Dr. VK Saraswat
(b) Kaushik Basu
(c) Arvind Panagariya
(d) KV Kamath
32. Where was India’s indigenously built anti-tank missile ‘Nag’ test fired in July, 2015?
(d) Wheeler Island
33. To which NGO is Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi associated with?
(a) Bachpan Bachao Andolan
(b) Beti Bachao Abhiyan
(c) Jungle Surkasha Andolan
(d) Gana Siksha Abhiyan
34. Which are the fields of the two MOUs signed between India and Egypt for bilateral cooperation on August 24, 2015?
(a) Education and Culture
(b) Air Connectivity and Tourism
(c) Technology and training and Research
(d) Tourism and Scientific and Technical Cooperation
35. Who is the recipient of Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award for 2015?
(a) Saina Nehwal
(b) Sania Mirza
(c) Sachin Tendulkar
(d) Abhishek Verma
36. Why was the 50th anniversary of Indo-Pak War of 1965 observed on August 28,2015?
(a) The day marks the beginning of the war
(b) The way marks the victory of India
(c) The day marks the Tashkent Declaration
(d) The day marks the first tank battle by Indian soldiers
37. What has Om Prakash Rawat been appointed as?
(a) Information Commissioner of India
(b) Election Commissioner of India
(c) Vigilance Commissioner of India
(d) Knowledge Commissioner of India
38. What is the name of the Indian Coast Guard Ship that has been gifted to Sri Lanka?
39. To which of the following, ‘Start-up India, Stand-up India’ campaign associated with?
(b) Scientific research
(c) Empowerment of women
40. Who is the Japanese scientist to have won the Nobel Prize in Medicine for 2015?
(a) Kosmas Prassides
(b) Taakaki Kajita
(c) Satoshi Omura
(d) Tu Youyou
41. ‘KBR National Park’ is located at
42. Where from the Narmada river originates?
(a) North-Easter part of Satpura Range
(b) Eastern Central part of Satpura Range
(c) Southern slopes of Satpura Range
(d) None of the above
43. The Sutlej river is tributary of the
(a) Indus River
44. The length of Gangotri glacier is
(a) 90 km
(b) 60 km
(c) 30 km
(d) 10 km
45. Which one of the following regions is famous as Sahyadris?
(a) Himalayan region
(b) Plain region
(c) Easter ghat region
(d) Western ghat region
46. Eastern most point of East-West corridor is
47. ‘Indira Point’ is near to
(a) Car Nicobar
(b) Little Nicobar
(c) Great Nicobar
48. In our country, second largest area is occupied by
(a) alluvial soil
(b) red soil
(c) black soil
(d) laterite soil
49. Which one of the following States possesses the largest forest area?
(a) Arunachal Pradesh
(d) Madhya Pradesh
50. Largest producer of manganese in India is
51. The biochemical oxygen demand in water is enhanced by
(a) increase in load of organic matter
(b) increase in dissolved nitrogen
(c) increase in heavy metal content
(d) dense population of phytoplankton
52. Green plant commonly
(a) releases CO2 in day time and O2 in night
(b) releases O2 in day time and CO2 in night time
(c) releases both O2 and CO2 in day as well as night
(d) releases both O2 and CO2 in day and only O2 in night
53. Fuse is the most important safety device used for protecting the circuits due to
(a) short circuiting
(b) over load
(c) Both (a) and (b)
(d) leakage of the current
54. Which is not a hardware of a computer?
(d) Microsoft Windows
55. At the time of short circuit, the current in the circuit
(a) reduces substantially
(b) does not change
(c) increases heavily
(d) vary continuously
56. Which is not the function of CPU?
57. Myopia, also known as near-sightedness, can be corrected by use of
(a) convex lens
(b) concave lens
(c) plane lens
(d) magnifying lens
58. Microsoft Excel of used for
(a) writing letter
(b) multimedia presentation
(c) spread sheet
(d) All of the above
59. Non-conventional source of energy is
(a) fossil fuel
(b) nuclear energy
(c) biomass energy
(d) All of these
60. Which of the following constitute a food chain?
(a) Grass, Pulses, Mango
(b) Grass, Goat, Human
(c) Grass, Goat, Cow
(d) Grass, Fish, Goat
61. The first (and current) President of the New Development Bank, headquartered at Shanghai, China and formed by countries of the BRIC block is nominated by India. Who among the following is the current incumbent?
(a) KV Kamath
(b) Arun Maira
(c) Arun Shourie
(d) Nachiket Mor
62. Halophytes are the types of plants that prefer to grow on
(a) dry soil
(b) sandy soil
(c) saline soil
(d) water logged soil
63. Thick vegetation of mangroves is present in
(a) Western Ghats
(c) Gir forest
64. Broad leaved deciduous forests are typical of
(a) Monsoon region
(b) Mediterranean region
(c) Temperate region
(d) Alpine region
65. Which of the following is mutually beneficially to the organisms in an association?
66. A thick and fleshy stem covered with a thick cuticle stores water in
67. The largest amount of freshwater of our planet is present in
(a) lakes and rivers
(b) ground water
(c) pond and wells
(d) polar ice and glaciers
68. A habitat of long severe winters and few months of summer constituting the only growing season for plants are the characteristics of
(a) Savannah ecosystem
(b) Tundra ecosystem
(c) Coniferous ecosystem
(d) Taiga ecosystem
69. The pyramid that always remains erect in a stable ecosystem with homeostasis is
(a) pyramid of biomass
(b) pyramid of number
(c) pyramid of energy
(d) pyramid of population
70. The role of bacteria in an ecosystem is to
(a) recycle nutrients
(b) immobilize nutrients
(c) fix carbon for secondary production
(d) supply organic carbon
71. Name the economist who related ‘poverty’ with the concept of ‘entitlement’.
(a) Amartya Sen
(b) C. Rangarajan
(c) Elinor Ostorm
(d) Partha Dasgupta
72. Economic growth is said to be inclusive when
(a) it generates more foreign exchange from exports
(b) it creates economics opportunities along with ensuring equal access to it
(c) it causes the largest segment of the people to remain outside the mainstream economy
(d) it earns the highest share of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) from service sector
73. Which one of the following can be considered as a step towards achieving ‘financial inclusion’ in India?
(a) Privatization of all the nationalized commercial banks.
(b) Opening of branches of all commercial banks in mega cities.
(c) Discontinuation of the practice of opening accounts by commercial banks with zero balance.
(d) Adoption of villages by bank branches.
74. A great demographic divide in India occurred in the year
75. Which one of the following is the correct definition off Dependency Ratio?
(a) Ratio of non-working population to working population.
(b) Ratio of ageing population to total population
(c) Ratio of female population to male population.
(d) Ratio of non-working population to total population.
76. Which one of the following was launched in India in 2014 with the aim of covering children againses seven vaccine preventable disease which include diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, polio, tuberculosis, measles and hepatitis B?
(a) Mission Indradhanush
(b) National Health Mission
(c) Swacch Bharat Mission
(d) Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission
77. Sarva Siksha Abhiyan (SSA) aims to provide useful and relevant education to all children in the age group
(a) 5-10 years
(b) 4-10 years
(c) 4-14 years
(d) 6-14 years
78. The MRTP Act of 1969 has been
(a) replaced by Competition Act of 2002
(b) merged in Industrial Policy Act of 1978
(c) replaced by Trade Unions (Amendment) Act, 2001
(d) merged in Industrial Policy Act of 1991
79. If interest payments are subtracted from gross fiscal deficit, the remainder will be
(a) revenue deficit
(b) gross primary deficit
(c) capital deficit
(d) budgetary deficit
80. The act of simultaneously buying in one market and selling in another market is called
81. Writs can be issued for the enforcement of Fundamental Rights by
(a) District Courts
(b) High Courts only
(c) Supreme Court only
(d) Both Supreme Court as well as the High Courts
82. Which one of the following was the First State to establish the institution of the Lokayukta in India?
83. Which one of the following was the first committee to demand constitutional recognition for Panchayats?
(a) Balwant Rai Mehta Committee
(b) Ashok Mehta Committee
(c) Santhanam Committee
(d) GVK Rao Committee
84. In India, ‘Collegium System’ was first introduced in relation to
(d) Union-State Relations
85. Central Vigilance Commission was set-up on the recommendations of
(a) First Administrative Reforms Commission
(b) Gorwala Committee Report
(c) Kriplani Committee Report
(d) Santhanam Committee Report
86. Which constitutional amendment provided for the setting up of Administrative Tribunals in India?
(a) 24th Amendment
(b) 42nd Amendment
(c) 44th Amendment
(d) 59th Amendment
87. Which of the following committee voiced concern about ‘Criminalization of Politics and Politicization of Criminals?
(a) Tarakunde Committee
(b) Sachar Committee
(c) Vohra Committee
(d) Indrajeet Gupta Committee
88. Under whose auspices, the concept ‘sustainable development’ was coined?
(a) UN Conference on the Human Environment
(b) UN World Commission on Environment and Development
(c) UN General Assembly Special Session on the Environment
(d) UN Conference on Sustainable Development
89. What is the goal of sustainable development?
(a) To ensure quality of life to present and future generations
(b) To meet the day-to-day consumption needs of the people
(c) To shift rural population to urban areas
(d) To increase the pace of industrialization
90. Per capita consumption expenditure as a measure of poverty in India was used for the first time only
(a) Jagdish Bhagwati and Arvind Panagariya
(b) Amartya Sen and Jean Dreze
(c) TN Srinivasan and Suresh Tendulkar
(d) VM Dandekar and N. Rath
91. What is the total surface area of Lakshadweep?
(a) 32 sq km
(b) 35 sq km
(c) 39 sq km
(d) 30 sq km
92. Karaganda coal basin belongs to
93. The provision of providing identity cards to voters has been made in the
(a) Constitution of India
(b) Representation of the People Act, 1958
(c) Election Laws (Amendment) Act, 1975
(d) Criminal and Election Laws (Amendment) Act, 1969
94. Who among the following describes the Indian economy as ‘Bullock-cart Capitalism?
(a) Rajni Kothari
(b) Atul Kohli
(c) Lloyd and Sussane Rudolph
(d) Granville Austin
95. What will follow if a Money Bill is substantially amended by the Rajya Sabha?
(a) The Lok Sabha may still proceed with the Bill, accepting or not accepting the recommendations of the Rajya Sabha.
(b) The Lok Sabha cannot consider the Bill further.
(c) The Lok Sabha may send the Bill to Rajya Sabha or reconsideration.
(d) The President may call a joint sitting.
96. Rajya Sabha is dissolved after every
(a) 2 years
(b) 6 years
(c) 5 years
(d) It is not subjected to dissolution
97. A money bill can be introduced only in
(a) Rajya Sabha
(b) Lok Sabha
(c) Both Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha
(d) None of the above
98. Panchayati Raj is included in
(a) Union List
(b) State List
(c) Concurrent List
(d) None of these
99. Who among the following has the power to issue ordinances under Article-129?
(a) Chief Justice of India
(b) The President of India
(c) Speaker of the Lok Sabha
(d) Chairman of the Rajya Sabha
100. The doctrine of basic structure of the Indian Constitution was pronounced by the Supreme Court of India in which of the following cases?
(a) Minerva Mills Limited vs Union of India
(b) Kesavananda Bharti vs State of Kerala
(c) SR Bommai vs Union of India
(d) None of the above
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: