- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry (JIPMER) under Government of India since the year 1956, is one of the leading Medical Institutions of India. Spread over a sprawling 195 acre campus in an urban locale of Puducherry (formerly Puducherry) JIPMER is 170kms. by road from Chennai.
- JIPMER was declared as an Institution of National Importance by a Parliamentary Act, i.e. JIPMER, Puducherry, Act, 2008. A copy of the Act was Gazette notified on 14-7-2008 to enforce this Act. Prior to this the Institute was functioning under the administrative control of Directorate General of Health Service, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi.
- The Institution is now empowered to award Medical Degrees, Diplomas, etc., under the clauses 23 & 24 of the said Act. Such Degrees / Diploma, etc., shall be deemed to be included in the schedules to the respective Acts governing Medical Council of India, Indian Nursing Council and Dental Council of India, entitling the holders to the same privileges as those attached to the equivalent awards from the recognized Universities of India.
- Admission to all Professional Courses at JIPMER is through an Entrance Examination conducted by JIPMER at various centers in India once a year. In addition certain categories of students are admitted through nominations by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
- JIPMER imparts Undergraduate (UG), Postgraduate (PG) and Super Specialty Medical Training through a working hospital (JIPMER Hospital) with bed strength of 2559 and a Nursing College. M.B.B.S., B.Sc., M.Sc., M.D., M.S, Degree Courses are offered in 37 various disciplines. Super Specialty departments of Cardiology, Neurology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Urology, Plastic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Neonatology, Clinical Immunology, Clinical Pharmacology, Clinical Hematology, Nephrology, Medical Oncology, Endocrinology, Surgical Oncology and Surgical Gastroenterology also offer D.M./ M.Ch. Courses. Full-time Ph.D. Programs are available in eight disciplines as on date.
- JIPMER ensures that teaching methods employed, facilities and content of the programs are in line with the latest innovations with a strong science base. JIPMER promotes teaching and training through small seminars, didactic lectures, and wide range of clinical and laboratory experiences, independent thinking and relevant research. JIPMER Hospital provides free medical care accessible to the poorer sections of society.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: