LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY & ADV. ZOOLOGY
THIRD SEMESTER – APRIL 2012
PB 3206/3200 – GENERAL MICROBIOLOGY
Date : 02-05-2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
Answer the following, each answer within 50 words: (10 x 2 = 20 marks)
- What are blue green algae?
- Define zoophages.
- Distinguish between heterotrophs and autotrophs.
- Define doubling time.
- What is a Hfr strain?
- What is a plasmid?
- Define phyllody.
- What is a macrocyclic fungi?
- What are oxidation ponds?
- Mention the source and uses of proteases.
Answer the following, each answer within 500 words:
Draw diagrams wherever necessary: (5 x 7= 35 marks)
- List out the characteristic features of algae.
- Mention the features of fungi.
- Write notes on bacterial nutrition.
- Explain the methods used for the isolation of bacteria.
- Briefly explain transduction in bacteria.
- Write short notes on bacterial conjugation.
- Give an account of the symptoms, disease cycle and control measures of tobacco
- Briefly write about the pathogen, symptoms and control strategies of citrus canker.
- Write notes on the objectives of wastewater treatment.
- Explain the methods used for the production of penicillin.
Answer any three of the following, each answer within 1200 words:
Draw diagrams wherever necessary: (3 x 15= 45 marks)
- Discuss in detail about the characteristic features and classification of viruses. Add a note on their cultivation.
- Explain the ultrastructure of bacterial cell.
- Write notes on the replication of DNA in bacteria.
- Give an account of the disease caused by Puccinia graminis in wheat and the various stages in the disease cycle.
- What is microbial spoilage of food? Write notes on the methods used for preservation of food from microbial spoilage.