Muktsar District of Punjab at a Glance

About Muktsar District :

Sri Muktsar Sahib District is located in South Western Zone of Punjab. It lies between 30◦ 69? and 29◦ 87? latitude and 74◦ 21? and 74◦ 86? longitude. It is bounded by States of Rajasthan and Haryana in the South, district Faridkot in North, Firozpur in West and Bathinda in the East

It covers an area of 2615 sq km, which constitutes 5.19 % area of Punjab

The Western Himalayas in the North and the Thar Desert in the South and Southwest mainly determine the climate conditions. The South -western mansoon brings the much needed rain bearing depression during summer (July to September). Nearly 70 % of rainfall is received during three months ( July to September) , when South Western monsoons are active in the region. There is wide seasonal temperature variation with Mean Monthly Maximum Temperature being as high as 45 degree C in June and Mean Monthly Minimum Temperature as low as 2 degreeC in January. The major part of the district qualify for aridic (torric) moisture regime according to the criteria laid in Soil Taxonomy. Soil moisture regime computations employing the Newhall mathematical model indicate that the area has ‘weak aridic’ moisture regime(Van Wambeke, 1985). In the aridic (torric) moisture regime, the moisture control section in the most of the year is dry in all parts for more than half the time (cumulative). (Source – Resource ATLAS, Sri Muktsar Sahib)

District at a Glance :

  • District – 
  • Headquarters – 
  • State
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011)
  • Total – 
  • Rural – 
  • Urban – 
Population (Census 2011)
  • Population – 
  • Rural – 
  • Urban – 
  • Male – 
  • Female – 
  • Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males) – 
  • Density (Total, Persons per sq km) – 
Constituencies (ECI)
  • Assembly
  • Loksabha – 

Tourist Places :

Sri Muktsar Sahib and surrounding areas of Sri Muktsar Sahib city is intimately connected with Sikh history. Tuti Gandi Gurudwara Sahib, Tibbi Sahib, Gurudawra Rakab sar, Gurudwara Taran Taran Sahib are worth a visit to get a peep into the glorious era of Sikh tradition. The birthplace of Second Guru, Guru Angad Dev ji is at Sarai Naga 15kms from Sri Muktsar Sahib on Sri Muktsar Sahib- Kotkapura highway

There is a beautiful old mosque called Angooran Wali maseet situated near Railway Station at Sri Muktsar Sahib. One historical Gurdwara Guptsar Sahib is situated at village Chhatteana in Gidderbaha tehsilat about 24 Kms from Sri Muktsar Sahib. Some historical Gurdwara at Rupana, Gurusar, Faqarsar & Bhundar are situated in Sri Muktsar Sahib district.

Gurudwara Tambu Sahib :

 

Near the southeastern corner of the sarovar, marks the spot where the muktds took position behind trees and shrubs which they camouflaged to look like tents {tambu, in Punjabi). The present building, which replaced the old one built at the initiative of Maharaja Mohinder Singh of Patiala (185276), was constructed through kdrsevd during the 1980’s. It comprises a high ceillinged domed hall, with a gallery at midheight and the sanctum in the centre.

Gurudwara Shahidganj Sahib :

 

Also called Arigitha (lit. pyre) Sahib, about 50 metres west of the sarovar, marking the spot where the bodies of the martyrs were cremated by Guru Gobind Singh, was first built in 1870 by Raja Wazir Singh of Faridkot (1828 – 72). The new building, a rectangular domed hall, was reconstructed through kdrsevd during the 1980’s.

Sri Darbar Sahib :

 

The principal shrine at Sri Muktsar Sahib, is on the western bank of the sarovar and was the earliest to be established by the first few Sikh families who had settled here around 1743. Additions to the building were carried out by Bhai Desu Singh and Bhai Lal Singh, chiefs of Kaithal, and later by Sardar Hari Singh Nalva (1791 = 1837), one of Maharaja Ranjit Singh’s army generals. During the 1930’s Sant Gurmukh Singh Karsevavale and Sant Sadhu Singh renovated the building. They marblepanelled its walls, added decorative domes on top and paved the floor in and around it with marble. This edifice was, however, pulled down by his followers for reconstruction during the 1980’s. A high tower and flagpost close to the Darbar Sahib were raised by Maharaja Hira Singh of Nabha (1843 – 1911) during the 1880’s. An old van tree believed to have existed since before the battle of Sri Muktsar Sahib still stands between the Divan Asthan and the Nishan Sahib.

Gurudwara Tibbi Sahib :

 

Marking the sandy mound from where Guru Gobind Singh had showered arrows on the enemy during the. battle, was first established as a modest structure during the eighteenth century, and reconstructed in 1843 by Sodhi Man Singh of ManSinghvala. The present building, which came up during the 1950’s under the supervision of Baba Baghel Singh, a follower of Sant Gurmukh Singh, is a square hall with the sanctum in the centre. Above the sanctum is a square pavilion topped by a lotus dome and decorative marble kiosks at corners. The entire wall surface including the dome is lined with white marble. The floor in and around the hall is also marbletopped.

Gurudwara Rakabsar Sahib :

 

200 metre east of Gurdwara TibbI Sahib, was also constructed by Baba Baghel Singh during the 1950’s. According to local tradition, as Guru Gobind Singh came down from the tibbi and was going to mount his horse, the stirrup {rakdb, in Punjabi) snapped. Hence the name of the shrine.

The control of Sri Darbar Sahib and other shrines in Sri Muktsar Sahib, initially in the hands of hereditary mahants or priests, passed to the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee in February 1923. The major annual celebration is on the Maghi day (midJanuary) when vast numbers of devotees throng the premises from all over for ablutions in the holy pool and to attend religious divans.

Mukta Minar :

 

It is a beautiful place and one of the main attractions of the city. It is situated near District administrative complex. It has beautiful gardens, lightings a minar depicting Khanda Sahib. This mukta minar is prominent for its glaring steel cover on concrete body. There is also an open air theatre here. It was built in commemoration of the 300 years of the martyrdom of the Chali Mukte

Angooran Wali maseet :

 

There is a beautiful old mosque called Angooran Wali maseet situated near Railway Station at Sri Muktsar Sahib

The birth place of Second Guru, Guru Angad Dev ji is at Sarai Naga 15kms from Sri Muktsar Sahib on Sri Muktsar Sahib- Kotkapura highway.

One historical Gurdwara Guptsar Sahib is situated at village Chhatteana in Gidderbaha tehsilat about 24 Kms from Sri Muktsar Sahib. Some historical Gurdwara at Rupana, Gurusar,Faqarsar& Bhundar are situated in Sri Muktsar Sahib district.

Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates:

View Full List ...