Chhattisgarh Civil Judge Pre. Examination
Held on June 25, 2017
1. Which of the following is not ‘law’ within the meaning of Article-13 of the Constitution of India?
(b) Government circular
2. What does the principle of ‘Double Jeopardy’ mean?
(a) No person can be prosecuted and punished for the same offence more than once.
(b) No person accused of an offence can be compelled to be a witness against himself.
(c) No person can be convicted for an act which was not an offence when committed.
(d) No person can be deprived of his life without due process of law.
3. Which of the following articles of the Constitution of India provides ‘Right to minorities to establish and administer educational institution of their choice’?
4. Which of the following statements is not correct?
(a) Supreme Court has writ jurisdiction.
(b) Supreme Court has appellate jurisdiction.
(c) Supreme Court has advisory jurisdiction.
(d) Supreme Court has no original jurisdiction.
5. Which of the following Articles of the Constitution of India makes provision for ‘Equal justice and free legal aid’?
(a) Article-39 A
6. The composition of Parliament consists of
(a) House of the People only
(b) House of the People and Council of States only
(c) President, Council of States and House of the People
(d) Election Commission, House of the People and Council of States
7. Writ of Certiorari is issued in which of the following cases?
(a) To quash illegal appointment on public post
(b) To direct release of person detained illegally
(c) To quash order of quasi-judicial bodies, if passed without jurisdiction
(d) To direct public authorities to perform their public duties
8. Which of the following is a fundamental duty of every citizen of India?
(a) Safeguard public property and to abjure violence
(b) Organization of village panchayats
(c) Protect interests of minorities
(d) Separate judiciary from executive
9. In which of the following cases did Supreme Court issue directions in the favour of acid attack victims?
(a) Devikas Biswas Vs Union of India (2016)
(b) Laxmi Vs Union of India (2016)
(c) Swaraj Abhiyan Vs Union of India (2016)
(d) Asiq Hussain Faktoo Vs Union of India (2016)
10. Provisions for Cooperative Societies has been added in the Constitution of India by
(a) Constitution (Seventy Eighth Amendment) Act 1995
(b) Constitution (Ninety Seventh Amendment) Act 2011
(c) Constitution (Ninety Ninth Amendment) Act 2014
(d) Constitution (One hundredth Amendment) Act 2015
11. In which of the following cases was the National Judicial Appointment Commissions (NJAC) declared unconstitutional by Supreme Court?
(a) Bhim Singh Vs Union of India
(b) MC Metha Vs Union of India
(c) Common Cause Vs Union of India
(d) Supreme Court Advocates of Record Association Vs Union of India
12. Unless approved by the resolution of both Houses of Parliament, the proclamation of President rule in State shall cease to operate after expiration of
(a) one month
(b) two months
(c) three months
(d) six months
13. Which Article of the Constitution of India states that, “This Constitution may be called the Constitution of India”?
14. How many Schedules are there in the Constitution of India?
15. According to Section-57 of the Indian Penal Code, what is the term of imprisonment for life?
(a) 20 yr
(b) 14 yr
(c) 16 yr
(d) 12 yr
16. In which of the followings cases did Supreme Court make it clear that “mere criticism or comments on government would not amount of offence of sedition”?
(a) Ranbir Singh Vs State of Haryana
(b) Gyan Kaur Vs State of Punjab
(c) Kedarnath Vs State of Bihar
(d) Shreya Singhal Vs Union of India
17. In which of the following cases did Supreme Court issue directions for playing National Anthem in all cinema halls before start of feature film and making mandatory for all in hall to stand up and show respect to National Anthem?
(a) Devika Biswas Vs Union of India
(b) Shyam Narayan Chauksey Vs Union of India
(c) Bijoe Emannuel Vs State of Kerala
(d) MC Mehta Vs Union of India
18. In which of the following cases, the ‘Rarest of rare’ doctrine for award of death sentence was evolved by the Supreme Court?
(a) Ashok Kumar Vs State of Rajasthan
(b) State of Tamil Nadu Vs Nalini
(c) Bachhan Singh Vs State of Punjab
(d) Mahesh Balmiki Vs State of Madhya Pradesh
19. ‘A’ finds a diamond ring in shopping mall not knowing to whom it belongs. ‘A’ sells it immediately without attempting to discover the true owner. Has ‘A’ committed any offence?
Select correct answer from the given options.
(a) ‘A’ has committed offence of criminal breach of trust.
(b) ‘A’ has committed offence of mischief.
(c) ‘A’ has not committed any offence.
(d) ‘A’ has committed offence of dishonest misappropriation of property.
20. Any man who monitors the use by a woman of internet, mail or any other form of electronic communication commits the offence of
(c) sexual harassment
21. Under which section of the Indian Penal Code is the non-treatment of victim by Public or Private hospitals punishable?
22. ‘A’ causes ‘Z’ to go within a walled space and locks ‘Z’ in. ‘Z’ is thus prevented from proceeding in any direction beyond the circumscribing line of wall.
‘A’ has committed an offence of
(a) wrongful restrain of Z
(b) wrongful confinement of Z
(c) criminal force against Z
(d) endangering life and personal safety of Z
23. What does Section -376 D of the Indian Penal Code related to?
(a) Custodial rape
(b) Gang rape
(c) Compensation victim of rape
(d) Rape by husband
24. Which of the following sections of the Code of Criminal Procedure provides an accused the right to be defended by a pleader of his choice?
25. In which of the following cases have the rights of arrested person been enumerated by the Supreme Court?
(a) DK Basu Vs State of West Bengal
(b) Maneka Gandhi Vas Union of India
(c) Thakur Ram Vs State of Bihar
(d) ADM Jabalpur Vs Union of India
26. Report of police officer on completion of investigation under Section-173 of the Code of Criminal Procedure is called
(a) Policy Diary
(b) Case Diary
(c) Charge Sheet
27. The doctrine of Plea bargaining is not applicable to offence punishable with
(a) imprisonment of 2 years
(b) imprisonment of 3 years
(c) life imprisonment
(d) imprisonment of 1 year
28. What was the Code of Criminal Procedure (Amendment) Act 2008 introduced ?
(a) Victim compensation scheme
(b) Plea bargaining
(c) Sentencing power of magistrate
(d) Medical examination of victim of rape
29. Section-167(2) of the Code of Criminal Procedure allows police custody for investigation of accused for a maximum period of …… .days.
30. What is the bar of taking cognizance after lapse of period of limitation of an offence punishable with imprisonment for term not exceeding one year?
(a) Six months
(b) One year
(c) Two years
(d) Three year
31. The Power to Remit Sentence can be exercised by
(a) Supreme Court
(b) High Court
(c) Appropriate government
32. In which of the following cases has the Supreme Court recently held that recall of witness cannot be permitted endlessly on the pretext of fair trial?
(a) State of Haryana Vs Ram Mehar (2016)
(b) State of Tamil Nadu Vs K. Ramesh (2015)
(c) CBI Vs Maninder Singh (2016)
(d) Pooja Pal Vs Union of India (2016
33. In which of the following sections of the Code of Criminal Procedure is the provision for compounding of offences provides?
34. Under Section-395 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, which court can entertain case under reference?
(a) Supreme Court
(b) Trial Court
(c) Session Court
(d) High Court
35. Provision of Section-6 of the Evidence Act relating to relevancy of facts forming part of same transaction, is based on doctrine of
(a) Res subjudice
(c) Res gastae
(d) Hearsay evidence
36. Which of the following does not constitute evidence within the meaning of Section-3 of the Evidence Act?
(a) Tape recording of conversation
(c) Electronic record produced for the inspection of court
(d) All documents produced for the inspection of court
37. Confession of co-accused is considered as
(a) strong type of evidence
(b) weak type of evidence
(c) no evidence
(d) sufficient evidence
38. Which of the following statements is not correct?
(a) Facts of which judicial notice has been taken need not be proved.
(b) Character to prove conduct in civil cases is not relevant.
(c) Expert opinion in binding on court.
(d) In criminal cases, previous good character is relevant.
39. Presumption as to dowry death has been provided in which of the following sections of the Evidence Act?
40. In which of the following cases was the principle of estoppels clearly framed?
(a) Polanski Vs Conde Nast Publication Limited
(b) R Vs Faster
(c) Queen Vs Holmes
(d) Pickard Vs Sears
41. ‘A’ (a client) says to ‘B’ (an attorney), “I wish to obtain possession of property by use of a forged deed which I request you to sue.”
According to Section-126 of the Evidence Act,, what is the legal position of this communication?
(a) The communication is protected from disclosure.
(b) The communication is not protected from disclosure.
(c) Limited protection can be granted.
(d) This communication can be rejected.
42. In which of the following cases has the Supreme Court summarized and reiterated the rule of inadmissibility of confession made to Police Officer in Police custody?
(a) Pawan Kumar Vs State of Uttar Pradesh
(b) Ram Krishna Mishra Vs State of Uttar Pradesh
(c) Indra Dalal Vs State of Haryana
(d) State of Delhi Vs VC Shukla
43. Which of the following statements is correct?
(a) Minimum 2 witness are required for the proof of any fact.
(b) Minimum 3 witness are required for the proof of any fact.
(c) Minimum 4 witness are required for the proof of any fact.
(d) No particular number of witnesses is required for proof of any fact.
44. Recent judgement of the Supreme Court in Raju Devade Vs State of Maharashtra deals with
(a) dying declaration
(b) hostile witness
(c) child witness
(d) expert witness
45. When the court gives a decision in ignorance of a statute or a rule having statutory effect, such a decision is termed as
(a) in personam
(b) per incurium
(c) sub silentio
(d) in rem
46. Plea raised by contesting respondent is, in fact, called
(a) Plea for caveat
(b) Plea for adjournment
(c) Plea for demurrer
(d) Plea for rejection of evidence
47. What does ‘Pleading’ consist of?
(a) Plaint and written statement
(c) Order of Court
(d) Decree of Court
48. Provision for grant of temporary injunction is provided in ………… of the Code of Civil Procedure.
(a) Section-95 read with the order XXXIX
(c) Section-95 read with order XXXVII
49. Non-joinder of necessary party in
(a) suit will lead to
(b) dismissal of suit
(c) continuation of suit
(d) imposition of cost
50. Which of the following is a correct statement?
(a) A woman can be arrested for execution of money decree.
(b) A woman can be arrested and released on bail in execution of money decree.
(c) A woman cannot be arrested for execution of money decree.
(d) Money decree cannot be executed against woman.
51. Proceedings by which a decree holder seeks to recover money or property of judgment debtor in the hands of third party is known as
(a) Interpleader suit
(b) Mesne profit
(c) Garnishee order
(d) Doctrine of Subrogation
52. In which of the following cases has the Supreme Court held that “When hearing of the suit is commenced, it has to be continued from day to day”?
(a) MV Shastri Vs Gopalkrishna Bhatt
(b) Ram Narang Vs Ramesh Narang
(c) Lachman Dass Vs Jagat Ram
(d) Bajaj Auto Limited Vs TVS Motor Company
53. Which of the following is not liable to attachment and sale in execution of decree?
(a) Land and Building
(b) Money and Cheques
(c) Money payable under policy of insurance
54. Under which of the following sections of the Code of Civil Procedure is the requirement of statutory notice before filling suit against government laid down?
55. What does the recent judgment of the Supreme court in Union of India Vs Diler Singh deal with?
(a) Second appeal
(c) Res Judicata
(d) Suit against government
56. In which section of the Code of Civil Procedure are the inherent powers of court mentioned?
57. An offer which is allowed to remain open for acceptance over a period of time is known as :
(a) Invitation of offer
(b) Cross offer
(c) Standing offer
(d) Specific offer
58. Which of the following statements is correct?
(a) Contract with minor is valid.
(b) Rule of estoppels apply to minor.
(c) Contract with minor can be ratified on attaining majority.
(d) A minor can be agent.
59. In which of the following situations will the provisions of Section-56 of the Contract Act not apply?
(a) Destruction of subject matter
(b) Subsequent impossibility
(c) Change of law
(d) Difficulty of performance
60. A contract to perform the promise of discharge the liability of third person in case of his default is known as :
(a) Contract of indemnity
(b) Contract of bailment
(c) Contract of guarantee
(d) Contract of agency
61. A without authority of B lends money of B to C. Afterwards, B accepts interest on money from C. What does B’s conduct lead to?
(a) Agency by necessity
(b) Agency by holding out
(c) Agency by estoppel
(d) Agency by ratification
62. In which of the following cases was the legality of Contract over telephone decided?
(a) Hyde Vs Wrench
(b) Powell Vs Lee
(c) Entores Limited Vs Miles Far East Corporation
(d) Said Vs Butt
63. In which of the following cases, the Supreme Court struck down a clause in service agreement whereby service of a permanent employee could be terminated by giving 3 months’ notice, as unreasonable and opposed to public policy?
(a) Hakam Singh Vs Gammon India
(b) SG Nayak Vs National Insurance Company
(c) State of Karnataka Vs Shree Rameshwara Rice Mills
(d) Central Inland Water Transport Corporation Limited Vs Brojo Nath
64. Responsibility of finder of goods is covered under
(b) quasi contract
(c) contingent contract
65. In which of the recent cases has Supreme Court held that ‘there can only be an assignment of rights arising under a contract, but not the burden of a contract’?
(a) Sasan Power Limited Vs North American Coal Corp India Private Limited (2016)
(b) United India Insurance Company Limited Vs Orient Treasures Private Limited (2016)
(c) DDA Vs Kenneth Builders and Developers (2016)
(d) Gangotri Enterprises Vs Union of India (2016)
66. As per the Transfer of Property Act which of the following is not transferrable?
(a) Future property
(b) Movable property
(c) Immovable property
(d) Pension amount of pensioner
67. A suit to obtain a decree under Section-67 of the Transfer of Property Act is called
(a) Suit for foreclosure or sale
(b) Suit for redemption
(c) Suit for mesne profit
(d) Inter pleader Suit
68. In which section of Transfer of Property Act h as the rule against perpetuity been mentioned?
69. What does the rule of ‘Spes succession’ mean?
(a) Once a mortgage, always a mortgage.
(b) Mere right of re-entry for breach of condition subsequent cannot be transferred.
(c) The chance of an heir apparent succeeding to an estate, cannot be transferred.
(d) Transfer to unborn child is not valid.
70. Mortgagor binds himself to repay the mortgage money on certain date and transfer mortgage property absolutely to mortgagee with a condition that upon repayment of mortgage money, the mortgagee will re-transfer it to mortgagor. This type of mortgage is known as.
(a) English mortgage
(b) Mortgage by deposit of title deed
(c) Usufructuary mortgage
(d) Simple mortgage
71. Which of the following statements is correct?
(a) Transfer of actionable claim is not permissible.
(b) Transfer of actionable claim can be made orally.
(c) Transfer of actionable claim cannot be made without consideration.
(d) Transfer of actionable claim whether with or without consideration shall be effected only by execution of an instrument in writing.
72. In which of the following cases did the Supreme Court recognize the principle ‘once a mortgage, always a mortgage’?
(a) Indira Kaur Vs Sheo Lal Kapoor
(b) Mrutanjay Pane Vs Narmada Bake Sasumal.
(c) Sidh Kamal nayak Vs Bira Nayak
(d) Chandi Rani Vs Kamal Rani
73. In which of the following cases has Supreme Court held that ‘Right of redemption of mortgagor stands extinguished,, when sale of mortgaged property is effectuated in court auction?
(a) Embassy Hotel Private Limited Vs Gajraj and Company
(b) Punjab and Sindh Bank Vs Punjab Breeders Limited
(c) State of Himachal Pradesh Vs Rajesh Chandra Sood
(d) Unitech Vs Union of India
74. ‘A’ signs an instrument in writing as under ‘on demand, I promise to pay ‘B’ the sum of Rs 10000. What is this called?
(a) Bill of exchange
(b) Simple note
(c) Promissory note
75. ‘Who is ‘holder in due course’?
(a) A person who holds negotiable instrument in the name of his spouse
(b) A person who holds negotiable instrument in his name
(c) A person who becomes possessor of negotiable instrument without consideration
(d) A person who becomes possessor of negotiable instrument payable to bearer for consideration
76. ‘In which of the following cases did Supreme Court hold that complaint for dishonor of cheque can be filed at the place where cheque was lodged and not where cheque was issued?
(a) AC Narayan Vs State of Maharashtra
(b) PJ Agro Vs Water Base Limited
(c) Bridgestone India Private Limited Vs Inderpal Singh
(d) Standard Chartered Bank Vs State of Maharashtra
77. ‘Which of the following is not included in the definition of ‘accommodation’ within the meaning of Section-2 (1) of the Chhattisgarh Rent Control Act?
(b) Open space
(c) Agricultural land
78. The Chairman of Rent Control Tribunal shall be appointed in consultation with
(b) Chief Minister
(c) Revenue Department
(d) High Court
79. ‘Appeal against the order of Rent Control Tribunal shall lie to
(a) Supreme Court
(b) High Court
(c) District Court
(d) State government
80. ‘Which provision of the Chhattisgarh Excise Act requires license for sale of intoxicant?
81. ‘A’ has been found consuming alcohol at Railway Station, on two occasions. He was convicted earlier. What will be the minimum amount of fine to be imposed on ‘A’ on second conviction?
(a) Rs 2000
(b) Rs 3000
(c) Rs 5000
(d) Rs 1000
82. ‘Which of the following offences under Chhattisgarh Excise Act has been declared as non-bailable?
(a) Consuming liquor at public place
(b) Misconduct of license
(c) Unlawful transport of liquor
(d) Importing of liquor unfit for human consumption
83. Under Chhattisgarh Land Revenue Code, power to propose fixation of assessment rates had been conferred upon
(b) Settlement officer
(c) Revenue Board
84. ‘Any person found guilty of theft under Section-241 of the Chhattisgarh Land Revenue Code (as amended in 2011) shall be levied a penalty not exceeding a sum of
(a) Rs 5000
(b) Rs 10000
(c) Rs 15000
(d) Rs 25000
85. Suit against which of the following is not barred by period of Limitation?
86. In case of continuous breach of contract, what shall the period of limitation be reckoned as?
(a) 3 yr
(b) 1 yr
(c) 2 yr
(d) Fresh period of limitation to run at every breach of contract
87. For claiming easementary right, one must have enjoyed open and peaceful access for a period of
(a) 15 yr
(b) 10 yr
(c) 20 yr
(d) 40 yr
88. By which of the following methods shall the Court fee be collected?
(a) Online transfer
(b) Cash payment
(c) Bank draft
89. In which of the sections of the Court Fees Act is the provision for computation of court fee provided?
90. In which of the recent cases has the Supreme Court held that ‘period spent bonafide prosecuting proceedings in wrong forum is to be excluded in computing period of limitation?
(a) AP Power Coordination Committee Vs Lanco Kondapalli Power Limited (2016)
(b) BS Sheshagiri Setty Vs State of Karnataka (2016)
(c) Sundaram Finance Vs Noorjahan Beevi (2016)
(d) Standard Chartered Bank Vs Andhra Bank Financial Services (2016)
91. Registration of which of the following documents is compulsory?
(a) Deed of will
(b) Gift deed of immovable property
(c) Lease of immovable property for less than one year
(d) Acknowledgement of receipt of payment
92. Other than Will, all documents should be presented for registration within ……… from date of execution.
(a) 1 year
(b) six months
(c) 4 months
(d) 3 months
93. Document (other than wills) remaining unclaimed in any registration office for a period exceeding ……. may be destroyed.
(a) 1 year
(b) 6 months
(c) 2 years
(d) 3 years
94. In which of the following cases did the Supreme Court hold that registering officer under Section-35 of the Registration Act cannot enquire into title of the person seeking registration?
(a) Satyapal Anand Vs State of Madhya Pradesh
(b) Yellapu Uma Maheswari Vs Buddha Jagadheeswararao
(c) Maya Devi Vs Lalta Prasad
(d) Om Prakash Vs Shant Devi
95. ‘Which of t he following statements is not correct?
(a) Registrar shall refuse registration of document, if duplicate copy along with original copy is not submitted.
(b) Document for registration of property shall be presented before sub-registrar in whose jurisdiction the whole or part of the property is situated.
(c) A will may be presented for registration at any time.
(d) The carbon copy of original document can be treated as duplicate copy.
96. ‘Which of the following is a correct statement?
(a) A contract made by trustee in excess of his powers can also specifically enforced.
(b) Suit for recovery of possession of immovable property by a person who has been dispossessed can be filed after expiry of one year of dispossession.
(c) A contract, for the non-performance of which compensation in money is an adequate relief, is not specifically enforceable.
(d) Suit for recovery of possession of immovable property by a person who has been dispossessed can also be brought against government.
97. ‘A’ singer, has entered into contract with ‘B’ for giving performance. Subsequently ‘A’ commits breach of contract. What remedy is available to ‘B’?
(a) ‘B’ can file suit for specific performance of contract against ‘A’.
(b) ‘B’ can file suit for injunction against ‘A’
(c) ‘B’ can claim damages from ‘A.’
(d) ‘B’ can rectify the contract.
98. ‘When an instrument in writing does not express the real intention, then either party may institute a suit for.
(a) cancellation of instrument
(b) rectification of instrument
(c) rescission of instrument
(d) impounding of instrument
99. ‘Which of the following remedies cannot be granted under Specific Relief Act?
(a) Declaratory Decree
(b) Cancellation of Instrument
(c) Grant of Perpetual Injunction
(d) Issuance of writ
100. ‘In which of the sections of Specific Relief Act is the specific performance of contract enforceable?
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: