LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
M.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – ZOOLOGY
SECOND SEMESTER – APRIL 2007
ZO 2800 – CELL BIOLOGY
Date & Time: 17/04/2007 / 1:00 – 4:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Part A (Answer all) 10 X 2 = 20
- What do you mean by resolving power of a microscope?
- Differentiate nucleoid from nucleus.
- Assess the symbiotic theory of origin of eukaryotes.
- What are vital stains?
- Comment on Balbiani rings.
- Mitochondria is a semi autonomous cell organelle. Justify.
- Mention the discoverers of the following:
- a) Lysosomes
- b) Nucleus
- c) Nucleolus
- d) Double helical DNA
- What are T and B lymphocytes?
- What are oncogenes?
- Comment on cell diffusion.
Part B (Answer any four) 4 X 10 = 40
- Write notes on polymorphism in lysosomes.
- Illustrate and explain the fluid mosaic model of plasma membrane.
- Distinguish prokaryotic cell from eukaryotic cell.
- Explain the ultra structure of SAT-chromosome.
- Explain the principle involved in a compound microscope. In what way it differes from an electron microscope.
- Write short notes on Sodium-Potassium pump.
Part C (Answer any two) 2 X 20 = 40
- Illustrate the ultra structure of a mitochondrion and elaborate its functions.
- Write an essay on transcription and translation.
- Discuss “immune responses”.
- Write notes on:
- a) Structure of a cilium/flagellum.
- b) Giant chromosomes.