About Bathinda District :
Bathinda District is situated in the Southern part of Punjab State in the heart of Malwa region. It forms part of newly created division Faridkot Revenue Commissioners Division and is situated between 29 o-33 & 30o-36 North latitude and 74o-38 and 75o-46 East longitude. The district is surrounded with Sirsa and Fatehabad of Haryana State in the south, Sangrur and Mansa district in the East, Moga in the North-east and Faridkot & Muktsar in the North-west
The district derives its name from the district headquarters town of Bathinda, which is of great antiquity. According to Khalifa Muhammad Hassan, author of History of Patiala, its ancient name was Bikramgarh. According to raverty, Bathinda was known as Tabarhindh (Labb-ut-Twarikh). According to Ibn Batuta it was known as Batrind. The earliest mention of Tabarhindh occurs in the “Jami-Ul-Hakayat” written about 607 Hijri or 1211 AD. According to “Ainai-Barar Bans” Bathinda was built by Bhati Rao, son of Bal Band, who became ruler of Punjab in 336 Bikrami Sambat. He also founded Bhatner. It was also called Whatinda and Bitunda which finally become known as Bhatinda. But its name was changed to Bathinda on the authority of Survey of India to conform to the phonetical expression as locally pronounced. In recent times the town was conquered by Maharaja Ala Singh (near about 1754 AD) and since then it followed the history of erstwhile princely state of Patiala. With the dawn of indendence and merger of Patiala and East Punjab States into a division styled at PEPSU, Bathinda become full fledged district which states has combined even after the merger of PEPSU with erstwhile Punjab State in 1956.
It consists of 272 villages out of which 271 are inhabited and 1 is uninhabited, eight towns and two census town
District at a Glance :
- District –
- Headquarters –
- Total –
- Rural –
- Urban –
- Population –
- Rural –
- Urban –
- Male –
- Female –
- Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males) –
- Density (Total, Persons per sq km) –
- Official Website –
Tourist Places :
Damdama Sahib :From the historical point of view, the important place in the district is Talwandi Sabo (Damdama Sahib) connected with the history of Sikhs.
The village of Talwandi tehsil popularly known as Damdama Sahib situated 18 miles south of Bathinda. It is the venue of colourful Baisakhi fair. After his fierest battle with the Mughals at Anandpur Sahib, Chamkaur Sahib and Muktsar, Guru Gobind Singh retired to the jungle of Malwa. He relaxed and took rest (Dam) at Talwandi Sabo and hence its name Damdama Sahib. The Guru stayed here nine months and nine days. He made the place a Centre for spreading his mission and hence its name Guru-ki- Kanshi. He re-dictated Adi-Granth here and called the place as Khalse Da Takhat. A seal was also prepared bearing the “Akal Sahai Guru Gobind Singh ji ki Jagha-Takhat Damdama Sahib ji
This place had been visited earlier by Guru Teg Bahadur, the father of Guru Gobind Singh. Damdama Sahib is also the headquarters of Nihangs. There are ten Gurudwaras and three tanks.
The three tanks are; Nanksar Sarover, Akalsar Saroveer and Gurusar Sarover. The first named tank is associated with Guru Nanak Dev ji who is said to have visited this village in 1510 A.,D. during his second Pad Yatra to Rajputana. The Akalsar Sarover is associated with Guru Gobind Singhji and a sip of water from it is believed to be a safeguard against any disease and scourage. The Gurusar Sarover is said to have been dug up under the orders of Guru Teg Bahadurji.
Maiser Khana :
The Maisar Khana mandir 29 km from Bathinda on Bathinda-Mansa Road. According to a legend, the jyoti of Mata Jawala appeared to give darshan to a poor devotee who could not reach durga temple at Jawala Ji.
Every year, Two Melas are held where lacs of devotees come to have Darshan of Jawala ji.
Zoological Park :It is around 6 km from Bathinda. A Zoological park and Tourist complex for riding children park, Lawns for picnic.
Qila Mubarak :
The old awe-inspiring retic of its past splendour is the fort at Bathinda which is biggest than its competitors at Lahore, Phillour and Hanumangarh. It stands as a gigantic sentinel in the heart of the town.
Every year, Sri Guru Gobind Singhji also stayed in this fort. It has long fascinating history behind it.
Rose Garden :
The Rose Garden is a 10 acre garden, popular for the large varieties of roses that grow here. Located close to the city, it is a frequented picnic spot.
National Fetilizers Ltd. :
National Fertilizer Ltd. is a Urea fertilizers productivity complex with a capacity of 1550 M.T. of Urea per day. It contributed significantly for the development of District Bathinda catering to demands of the people.
Guru Nanak Dev Thermal Plant & Guru Hargobind Thermal Plant. :
Guru Nank Dev Thermal Plant has four units of 210 MW capacity each for power generation . Recently another thermal plant at Lehra Muhabat has also come up to meet the increasing demands of power. This plant has two units of 210 MW capacity for power generation.
Latest Govt Job & Exam Updates: