Sahibganj District of Jharkhand at a Glance

About Sahibganj District :

The district of Sahibganj with a predominantly tribal population is a part of Santhal Pargana division and forms the eastern most tip of the division. The Rajmahal and Pakur subdivisions of old Santhal Pargana district were carved out on 17th May, 1983 to form Sahibganj district. The district of Sahibganj lies approximately between 24042′ north and 25021′ north lattitude and between 87025′ and 87054 east longitude. Sahibganj is the administrative headquarter of the district and situated on the bank of the river Ganges. The geographical area of the district is 1599.00 sq. km. It is bounded on north by the river Ganges and district of Katihar, on the south by the district Godda, on the east by Maldah and Murshidabad districts of the state of West Bengal, and on the west by Bhagalpur and Godda districts. The district of Sahibganj consists of 2 Sub divisions, 9 Blocks and 1819 Villages. The important places to visit in the district are Rajmahal, Mangalhat, Kanhaiyasthan, Sahibganj, Teliagarhi, Shivgadi, Binduvasini Temple, Shukravasini Temple, Raksisthan, Bhoganadih and Panchkathiya, Udhwa Bird Sanctuary, Moti Jharna and Maghi Mela.

District at a Glance :

  • District – 
  • Headquarters – 
  • State
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011)
  • Total – 
  • Rural – 
  • Urban – 
Population (Census 2011)
  • Population – 
  • Rural – 
  • Urban – 
  • Male – 
  • Female – 
  • Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males) – 
  • Density (Total, Persons per sq km) – 
Constituencies (ECI)
  • Assembly
  • Loksabha – 

Tourist Places :

1) Rajmahal:-

TSituated on the right bank of the river Ganges, Rajmahal is a small but historically important town. It was the seat of Government during the Mughal period when Raja Man Singh, general of Emperor Akbar made Rajmahal the capital of Bengal in 1592. Even today relics of the old and prosperous Rajmahal are visible in this one time capital of Bengal. The town has following important monuments.

i)    Singhi Dalan.
ii)    Akbari Masjid
iii)    Tomb of Maina-Bibi
iv)    Tomb of Miran.

2) Mangalhat :-

Situated 10 K.m west of Rajmahal, it is the site of an important monument Jama Masjid which was built during the reign of Emperor Akbar. It can be made a tourist place .

3) Kanhaiyasthan :-

Situated on the bank of the river Ganges, is a village situated about 13 km. north-west of Rajmahal town and owes its name to the temple of Lord Krishna (Kanhaiya). It is believed that Chaitanya Mahaprabhu once stayed here on his way to Brindaban from Bengal and got the vision of Lord Krishna. Footstep of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is also preserved here.

4) Sahibganj:-

It is situated on the southern bank of the Ganges in the north-eastern region of Rajmahal subdivision. Sahibganj is the sub-divisional headquarters since 1944 and presently it is the district headquarter as well. It has a municipality, which was constituted in 1883. The town has a well, constructed in 1915 known locally as “Bhagwa Kuan” which was constructed in memory of Edward VII. Residents still use the well for drinking water. In the eastern portion of the town, there located a hillock near residence of Sub- Divisional Magistrate is historically very important.

5) Teliagarhi :-
These are remains of an old fort known as Teliagarhi after its builder a Teli Zamindar, who later embraced Islam during the reign of Shahjahan. It is located near Karamtola station.

6) Shivgadi :-

This Shiva temple is located in the Barhait block 8 K.M north of Barhait and is inside the cave. Water from the mountain drips continuously on the Shivling. Devotees gather here in large numbers on Mahashivratri and whole of Shravan month .

7) Binduvasini Temple :

Situated 2 K.M away from Barharwa railway station. Devotees gather in large number on Ram-Navami at this temple during the fair which lasts for 9 days.

8) Shukravasini Temple :

    This is a place of worship of goddess situated at Mirzapur village in the Barharwa block.
9) Raksisthan :

Situated in Mandro block near the Karamtola railway station just west of the Teliagarhi fort. This temple is considered very pious by the tribals and non-tribals. The deity is very ancient. Sutherland has reported about it in his report in 1819.

10) Bhoganadih and Panchkathiya :
The village of Sido and Kanu, the legendary brothers who led the Santhal revolt in 1855, is very sacred for the tribals. There is also a memorial for the brothers in this village. Panchkathiya is a place where these brothers were hanged by the British.

11) Udhwa Bird Sanctuary :

   The only bird sanctuary in the entire state of Jharkhand is situated near Udhwa; locally called Patauda Lake. Hundreds of migratory birds reach here every winter even from Europe and Siberia.

12) Moti Jharna :-

It is near Maharajpur the natural beauty of it is very attractive which is a very good picnic spot. The stream found its source from the Rajmahal hills.

13) Maghi Mela :

Organized on every full moon of Magh month at Rajmahal, this mela has an important place in the tribal life. Tribals from all over the district gather here along with the family priest to perform the pooja, which lasts for three days

 

Sanjay Misra

Name Hon’ble Mr. Justice Sanjay Misra
Address 27, Park Road, Allahabad  
Administrative Judge for the District Balrampur
Source Bar
Posting Allahabad
Date of Birth 19/11/1952
Initial Joining 24/09/2004
Joining at Allahabad 24/09/2004
Date of Retirement 18/11/2014
Graduated in Arts.
Enrolled as an advocate on December 1977.
Practised in High Court.
Elevated as Additional Judge on 24/09/2004. Took oath as Permanent Judge on 18/08/2005.
E-Mail ID : [email protected]

 

Shishir Kumar

Name Hon’ble Mr. Justice Shishir Kumar
Address Flat No. 24, Annapurna Vihar, 3D, Beli Road, Allahabad
Administrative Judge for the District Sonbhadra
Source Bar
Posting Allahabad
Date of Birth 30/07/1949
Initial Joining 24/09/2004
Joining at Allahabad 24/09/2004
Date of Retirement 29/07/2011
Post Graduated in Arts from Allahabad University and passed LL.B. in the year 1972 from Allahabad University.
Enrolled as an advocate in November 1973.
Served as Additional Standing Counsel for Central Government (Union of India) in the year 1985 and Continued till the date of elevation, as Counsel for New India Insurance Company in 1986 and as Counsel for the State Essential Food Corporation in 1991.
Elevated as Additional Judge on 24/09/2004. Took oath as Permanent Judge on 18/08/2005.\
E-Mail ID : [email protected]

 

Dakshin Dinajpur District of West Bengal at a Glance

About Dakshin Dinajpur District :

The West Dinajpur District was bifurcated into Uttar Dinajpur and Dakshin Dinajpur on 01.04.1992. The erstwhile Balurghat Sub-Division along with Banshihari and Kushmandi Blocks (which were in Raigunj Sub-Division prior to the bifurcation) comprise the new district, Dakshin Dinajpur. Balurghat is the district Headquarters of the Dakshin Dinajpur district. The Area of the district is 2162 sq km. The population of the district is 15,03,178 as per 2011 Census. The district is divided into 2 Subdivisions 8 Blocks and 1534 Villages. The district is drained by a number of North-South flowing river like Atreyee, Punarbhaba, Tangon and Brahmani. It is predominantly an agricultural district with large area of land being under cultivation. The places of tourist interests in the districts are Sarongbari, Indo-Bangladesh Border, Balurghat town, college museum of Balurghat, Khanpur, Patiram Thakur Estate, Bolla Kali Temple, and Tapan Dighi

District at a Glance :

  • District – 
  • Headquarters – 
  • State
Area in Sq Km (Census 2011)
  • Total – 
  • Rural  –
  • Urban – 
Population (Census 2011)
  • Population – 
  • Rural – 
  • Urban – 
  • Male – 
  • Female – 
  • Sex Ratio (Females per 1000 males) – 
  • Density (Total, Persons per sq km) – 
Constituencies (ECI)
  • Assembly
  • Loksabha – 
  • Official Website

Tourist Places :

Sarongbari :

Sarongbari is a small forest and a very attractive picnic spot. One small hut has been constructed with drinking water facilities and is managed by Hili Panchayat Samiti. Prior permission is to be sought from the Block Development Officer, Hili, to enter this spot

College Museum :

The college museum of Balurghat, though a small one, is worth seeing. Many antique collections including coins, inscriptions, sculptures, terracotta, ornamental stones, etc. of ancient ages are preserved here. Two incriptions have been deciphered by Prof A K Goswami which has thrown new light on the religious belief of the Pala period

Khanpur :

It is situated on the Patiram-Trimohini road about 18 Kms away (North-East) from Balurghat town. This place is very famous for the TEBHAGA Movement. History tells us that in the year 1946, the share croppers of this area raised a movement for establishing their ¾ percentage share of the crops
To combat this movement the British Force along with local Zamindars started various oppressive measures including plunder, rape, setting fire, etc. In the face of such oppression, the movement instead of subsiding, further flared up. The local cultivators also lent their whole-hearted support to the movement. On 20 February, 1947, a large contingent of Police force went to Khanpur to arrest the leaders of the Tebhaga Movement. Under the leadership of SriI Chiarshai Sekh, the people disconnected the road. The Police arrested Smt Jasoda Rajbanshi, W/o NilKantha Rajbanshi (Party Secretary), Sri Gopeshwar Das Mohanta, Sri Ghutui Kolkamar, Sri Gajimuddin and Sri Sashi Barman.
However, the share croppers under the leadership of Chiarshai Sekh succeeded to snatch away those arrested cultivators from the police jeep and damaged the vehicle. The Police then opened fire. As per report police fired about 121 rounds upon the public. As a result 21 (twenty one) cultivators died on the spot. Among these victims were people belonging to the Hindus, Muslims and the Schedule Tribes. There is a small memorial in the spot inscribing the names of the patriotic souls
Bolla Kali Temple :
About 20 Kms away from Balurghat town on the Balurghat- Malda Highway, the village BOLLA is situated. There is a famous Kali temple named after “BOLLA Ma Kali’. There is a story behind this temple. It is said that one Zamindar was arrested by the British as he could not pay the tax for his Zamindari. Goddess Kali came to his rescue and the Zamindar was freed the very next day. As a token of gratitude, he built a temple of Goddess ‘Kali’ and started worshipping her. As the Zamindar was freed on a Friday following the Rash Purnima Friday, Kali Puja is being observed here on every Friday following the Rash Purnima. Thousands of devotees throng the place to offer prayers and puja from different parts of the district. The Puja Committee organise a 3 (three) day fair on the occasion. This is also famous for sacrificing animals (Bali)