LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – PLANT BIOLOGY & PLANT BIO-TECH.
FIFTH SEMESTER – NOVEMBER 2012
PB 5517/5511/5503 – HERBAL AND ETHANOBOTANY
Date : 06/11/2012 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Time : 9:00 – 12:00
ANSWER THE FOLLOWING, EACH WITHIN 50 WORDS ONLY: (10 x 02 = 20)
- Expand BSI
- What is Materia medica?
- Write any two medicinal properties of Andrographis paniculata.
- What is resin?
- Define Siddha system of medicine.
- Differentiate between alkaloids and phenolic compounds.
- What do you mean by Baram or Charam?
- What are suppositories?
- What is an active principle of a herb?
- Name the terpenoid extracted from Azadirachata indica. Mention its importance.
ANSWER THE FOLLOWING, EACH WITHIN 500 WORDS;
DRAW DIAGRAMS, FLOW CHARTS WHEREVER NEECSSARY: (5 x 7 = 35)
- a) Differentiate adulterants from substitutes. Discuss adulteration of drugs with two
- b) What is hydrotherapy? Mention its types and advantages.
- a) Explain the organoleptic properties of
- b) Mention the active principle and medicinal uses of Vinca rosea and Zingiber officinale.
- a) Write notes on herbal preparation with respect to Herbal oil and Glycerites.
- b) Discuss the extraction process for Resins and Tannins.
- a) How the ethnobotanical research is carried out in India?
- b) Write notes on field work, literature, herbaria and musea.
- a) What is a patent? Discuss about it in the context of Intellectual Property Rights(IPR).
- b) Write about the ethanobotanical study of Todas.
ANSWER ANY THREE OF THE FOLLOWING, EACH WITHIN 1200 WORDS;
DRAW DIAGRAMS, FLOW CHARTS WHEREVER NEECSSARY: (3 x 15 = 45)
- Explain How microscopic and physical evaluation of drug is carried out to detect
- Describe the chemical and anatomical characterization of Emblica officinalis. Add a note on its medicinal uses.
- Explain the methodology of preparation of the following:
i.Poultices, ii. Compresses or Fomentations, iii. Glycerites.
- Give a detailed account of the importance of ethanobotany in traditional system of medicine,
- Bring the knowledge of tribes towards disease diagnosis, treatment, medicinal plants and their