LOYOLA COLLEGE (AUTONOMOUS), CHENNAI – 600 034
B.Sc. DEGREE EXAMINATION – CHEMISTRY / ADV. ZOO. & BIO. TECH.
FOURTH SEMESTER – APRIL 2007
PB 4202 – MICROBIAL BIOTECHNOLOGY
Date & Time: 25/04/2007 / 9:00 – 12:00 Dept. No. Max. : 100 Marks
Part A (20 marks)
Answer All questions
I Choose the Correct Answer ( 5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- Technique of attachment of cells or protoplasts or enzymes to a matrix is known as
- entrapment b. immobilization
- impregnation d. covalent bonding
- Which of the following process is very important for the development of
characteristic flavor and aroma of wine?
- Brewing b. Malting c. Ageing d. Mashing
- Most of the Vitamin B12 fermentation processes use ______ as the carbon source.
- glucose b. sucrose c. trehalose d. starch
- Industrial production of enzyme is mostly carried out by ______ fermentation.
- Submerged b. solid surface c. liquid surface d. both b and c
- Entirely decomposed organic material refers to _______
- fertilizer b. manure c. compost d. humus
II State whether the following statements are True or False (5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- Phosphate solubilizing microorganisms are called as biofertilizers.
- Yoghurt is a product of fermented milk.
- Inhibitory relationships between microorganisms are called amensalism.
- Maximum amount of citric acid is produced in Airlift or Stirred bioreactor.
- Xanthan is an exopolysaccharide.
III. Complete the following ( 5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- ______involves transfer of genes between unrelated strains which are producers of
- _______ refers to the microbial cells or total protein extracted from pure microbial
- ______ results in change in a chemical molecule by means of microbial or
- In food industry, Glutamic acid is used in the form of __________
- ______ is a technique of seed-dressing with bacteria as water suspension
- Answer all, each in about 50 words ( 5 x 1 = 5 marks)
- What are Mycobeads?
- Mention any two substrates used for oyster mushroom cultivation.
- What is Algalization?
- What is vinegar?
- Mention any one microbe which produces polyhydroxyalkanoates.
PART B ( 5 x 8 = 40 marks)
Answer any five, each within 350 words only. Draw diagrams and flowcharts wherever necessary.
- Explain the various substrates used for industrial fermentation.
- Explain the fermentation process of beer production.
- Write notes on the production of insulin
- Write in brief for the production of Vitamin B12
- Mention any two microorganisms that are involved in the production of protease
enzyme, glutamic acid, acetic acid and citric acid.
- Briefly explain the technology of citric acid production.
- Write down the procedure of transformation of steroids.
- Enumerate the significances of Xanthan, Bioplastics and Biosensor.
PART C ( 2 x 20 = 40 marks)
Answer the following, each within 1500 words only. Draw diagrams and flowcharts wherever necessary.
29a. i) With an example, explain how microbes play an important role in the production
of dairy products.
ii). With the flow chart explain the methodology of mushroom cultivation. Write
down the procedure for commercial preparation of mushroom.
- Give the outline of the entire fermentation process. Add a note on product recovery
processes (Down Stream processing)
30a. Write an essay on Biofertilizers.
- i) Explain the microbial technology of α – amylase production.
- ii) Explain the working principle of modern device to quantify the
biomolecules in our system. Add a note on its significance in other fields.
Go To Main Page